Athens Drive students speak up amid genocide in Gaza

Palestinian+protesters+take+to+the+streets+of+downtown+Raleigh+in+Oct.+2023%2C+calling+for+a+ceasefire+in+Gaza.+Protests+like+this+have+been+occurring+all+around+the+world+in+response+to+the+attacks+on+Oct.+7.++
Photos by Bex
Palestinian protesters take to the streets of downtown Raleigh in Oct. 2023, calling for a ceasefire in Gaza. Protests like this have been occurring all around the world in response to the attacks on Oct. 7.

At least 4,000 missiles rained down on the Gaza Strip on Oct. 7, 2023. Hamas, a militant group from Palestine, had been meticulously planning this attack after a long, historical buildup. In the preceding weeks of the initial attack, food, power, and medical resources have been cut off to Gaza; in this way, Hamas was able to devastate the area. The missiles claimed the lives of roughly 1,400 citizens and many more would fall victim to related attacks in the following weeks. 

The United Nations prepared a historical background of the conflict between Palestine and Israel, indicating that the conflict began during World War II. “From 1922 to 1947, large-scale Jewish immigration, mainly from Eastern Europe, took place, the numbers swelling in the 1930s with the Nazi persecution. Arab demands for independence and resistance to immigration led to a rebellion in 1937, followed by continuing terrorism and violence from both sides,” said the United Nations.

The unstable relationship between Palestine and Israel goes back to the initial forced immigration of Israelis. The root of the tension was the Israelis claiming and taking over the Palestinian country as their own. With both sides having ancestral ties to the land, it was difficult for both cultures to cohabitate peacefully.

“What’s happening in the Middle East has had a ripple effect on major cities like New York: Advocates and community leaders say there has been a slew of hate-inspired incidents targeting Jews, Palestinians, Muslims, and other groups in the wake of the initial attacks,” said Mark Morales, a reporter for CNN.

The controversy has sparked a global issue with ethnic groups in the United States taking sides and causing conflict within the country. Athens Drive students have taken the initiative of establishing peace within the community. One Palestinian-American senior created an Instagram page, @arabs_of_athens, to promote a message of tranquility and educate the community on the real issues behind the conflict. This source asked to remain anonymous due to safety-related concerns. 

“I have always been aware of the struggle of the Palestinian people. Seeing how completely misunderstood the situation is, especially online, infuriates me,” said the account owner. 

A post from @arabs_of_athens encouraging students to wear the colors of the Palestinian flag to school on Oct. 26. (Photos by @arabs_of_athens)

Since the account had been established, the group organized a ‘Wear Your Palestinian Attire’ day on Thursday, Oct. 26, where students were encouraged to wear red, white, green, and black to show support for the Palestinian people. Student activists recognize the main issue in America leading to hate crimes is the misrepresentation of the current issue. 

“The deception that is represented in the media by government officials, celebrities, and the misinformed public causes the world to turn a blind eye to the genocide that is happening right before our eyes,” said the account owner. 

These Athens Drive Student activists encourage their peers to conduct individual research to gain a true, unbiased view of the conflict. Taking pride in their heritage, there is a lot of pain in Palestinian communities around the globe for their friends and relatives who have experienced extreme loss in the recent events. Sources with familial relations to those in Gaza have shared their thoughts on the Genocide, including Athens Drive senior, Bex. This source wishes only to be referred to as Bex due to fear for safety.  

“I feel as though it is my moral obligation to be a voice for the voiceless. Making ourselves heard is how we stop injustices from happening,” said Bex, senior at Athens Drive. 

Bex, among other Palestinian advocates, encourages their communities to show solidarity for the innocent lives in Gaza by boycotting the corporations that support Israel and the genocide. Activists also claim that the United States’ lack of support for a cease-fire is deeply unjust and biased in economic relations.

“I know people who are worried for their safety, and I know people who choose not to speak out because they are scared to lose friends. There is no neutrality in genocide,” said Bex. “I believe that the people united together can and will make a difference.”