Students’ journey to success begins at the Career Fair

Photos by Sierra Moore
In this picture you have students Tyrre Hester a sophomore and Caleb Jones junior checking out one of the many career fair booths at the Athens Drive career fair.

Interested in doing nails? What about joining the military? Athens Drive hosted its annual career fair Oct. 25th in the gym lobby, with a variety of companies gathered in one place and were eager to help the developing minds of high school students.

“If you do it during lunchtime, every student has access to it. It’s a huge part of my job and my role to make sure that every student has access to equal opportunities provided,” said Melonie Carlton, Career Development Coordinator at Athens Drive.

The career fairs inspired students ideas for the future, and this provides a head start for students who are looking for the opportunity or chance to discover something new. 

“If jobs are hiring or giving part time employment or if they are giving job shadowing where students can actually see or actually be in that setting. That’s very beneficial for them,” said Carlton.

In the picture students Annalise Abete, freshman, and Nick Martin, junior, are engaged in a conversation about the military. (Photos by Sierra Moore)

Career fairs can also be useful in helping students to understand what employers are looking for in the hiring process. This can give them the opportunity to work on or develop the skills needed if that specific job is what they are looking for in a future career.

“In the future I plan on being a nurse because my mother inspired me to want to be one. I would need communication skills to be able to talk to people and mathematical skills,” said Quaniquel Howell, sophomore at Athens Drive.

The career fairs played a crucial role in what high school students chose to do in their future. It can spark motivation for organizing future goals, even if they haven’t chosen the job that best suits them just yet.

“What motivates me for my future job is having a family of my own to provide for in the future. I don’t want them to struggle or anything,” said Corissa Greene, junior at Athens Drive.