Covid-19 cases returning to the United States in waves

Photos by Ethan Adams
Anatomy teacher Mrs. Wantz standing with her skeleton friend. She uses the skeleton to teach her class about the bone structure of humans.

Reported COVID-19 cases are on the rise in North Carolina in current months. This has caused some people who live in North Carolina to fear the return of the pandemic.  In North Carolina, 623 people were admitted into hospitals on the week of 9/16 compared to the week of 6/24 with only 130 admissions. These statistics cause fear as the rate of COVID-19 patients is increasing in North Carolina. 

“I have heard of people getting [Coronavirus] more often than they did a few months ago,” said Sherry Wantz, anatomy and physiology teacher at Athens Drive. 

In the past few months, Coronavirus cases have increased, and more people are being affected by COVID-19 compared to a few months ago, however reported cases are still lower than in 2020. 

“Personally, I’m not overly worried … I feel that if you’re a healthy individual, I think it’s very similar to the cold, the flu. But if you do have some underlying effects or underlying conditions, I mean, the cold and the flu is not gonna be good for you. It can be bad,” said Wantz.

What Athens Drive students and staff fear happening if covid cases rise too much higher.
(Photos by Ethan Adams)

COVID-19 is not affecting people to the same extent as in 2020. However, it is still a problem for people with a weakened or compromised immune system. Due to this, researchers have developed new vaccines to prevent one from getting infected by the Coronavirus.

“Coronaviruses can cause a wide range of illnesses, including the common cold and COVID-19. Coronaviruses are present in many species, including camels and bats. Some of these viruses can infect humans, and some of the illnesses that they cause can be deadly,” said Jennifer Hulsey, Health Science Career Academy director at Athens Drive. 

COVID-19 is a variant of the Coronavirus that is easily transmitted from person to person. Even though it is very contagious, there are methods to avoid coming down with the virus. Wearing a mask has shown to be an effective way of preventing the spread, as COVID-19 can be transmitted through the air. 

“Airborne transmissions; research shows that the virus can live in the air for up to three hours. It can get into your lungs if someone who has it breathes out and you breathe that air in. Experts are divided on how often the virus spreads through the airborne route and how much it contributes to the pandemic,” said Hulsey.

It has been proven that a large amount of COVID-19 cases are passed through the air. However, it can also be spread through other methods, such as touch. 

“Surface transmission; A less common method is when you touch surfaces that someone who has the virus has coughed or sneezed on. … To stop it, clean and disinfect all counters, knobs, and other surfaces you and your family touch several times a day,” said Hulsey. 

The best way to prevent coming down with COVID-19 from the air or touch is to remember to still continue using some precautions. 

Have you had COVID-19 in the past year?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

“It all goes back to wash, wait, and wear. Stay home if you are sick or have symptoms. The government has brought back home COVID-19 tests which can be ordered at COVIDTests.gov,” said Hulsey. 

A large part of preventing COVID-19 cases from going back up is to take personal precautions when you are sick like what has become common courtesy of wearing a mask if you are sick.

“I think it’s here to stay. I don’t think it’s going anywhere, but I think it’s gonna be one of the many other illnesses we have floating around,” said Wantz.

Coronavirus is transferred commonly through touch, so continuing to wash your hands is a great method to stay safe. COVID-19 has now been affecting the United States for over three years. This alarms some  and causes fear that it’s going to stay around for a while. 

“It’s just part of life. Having illnesses is part of life. It’s been around forever and We’re getting better at treating it and hopefully we don’t go back to how we were in 2020. That’s the big one,” said Wantz.