Courtesy of Ava Seay
Senior Spotlight: Ava Seay
Brady Jones, Assistant News Editor • June 4, 2024

As the school year fades to an end, many graduates are leaving the Athens Drive community to begin searching for their passions. While some...

Brady Jones has an on-stage-cameo as security guard in production called I Hate Shakespeare. Photo provided by Lauryn Webb
Senior spotlight: Brady Jones
Taylor Malloy, Editor in Chief • June 4, 2024

Athens Drive High School watches many of its students arrive as freshmen and leave as seniors. Some of these seniors stand out as being leaders,...

Jayvon Coleman at Athens Drive
Senior Spotlight: Jayvon Coleman
Sama Yousef, Staff Writer • June 4, 2024

Throughout high school, students achieve and extend themselves thoroughly; Senior Jayvon Coleman has pushed himself to perform excellence throughout...

Rachel Huffman, a cheerful senior at a companions home having a fun time with friends and her digital camera, at a get together.
Senior Spotlight: Rachel Huffman
Deevani Rodriguez, Features Copy Editor • June 4, 2024

Out of the graduating class of 2024, Senior Rachel Huffman has strived to do her best at leading and achieving greatness at Athens Drive Magnet...

The Drive Inquiry Clubs website is pictured. Dylan Ducatte dedicated a lot of her time while at Athens to the club.
Senior Spotlight: Dylan Ducatte
Sophie King, Assistant Editor • June 4, 2024

A true historian, senior Dylan Ducatte has spent her time at Athens fully engaged in all the school's social studies classes. Throughout her...

Skylar Moore at graduation rehearsal with fellow students.
Senior Spotlight: Skylar Moore
Rowan Bissett, Assistant Sports Editor • June 4, 2024

June 8, 2024, Athens seniors will walk the stage, take their diplomas, and finally finish high school. One of those Seniors is Skylar Moore,...

Hannah Suehle
Hannah Suehle
Co-Editor in Chief

Hannah Suehle is a senior at Athens Drive and co-editor-in-chief. This is their fifth semester writing for the Athens Oracle. Outside of school, they like to play games, read, crochet, and do Scottish...

Lisi Abete is a Freshmen at Athens Drive. This is her first semester in the Oracle and she works on staff relations. Abete loves cats and going on bike rides.

Abody Moazeb
Abody Moazeb

Abody Moazeb is a sophomore here at Athens Drive. This is Abody's first year writing for the Oracle. In his free time, he enjoys playing soccer and hanging out with his friends.

Athens Drive Culture Fest to return May 28

Photos by Esha Quazi
Members of the South Asian Student Association pose for a photo. This club is one of many school organizations that celebrate student diversity.

With a total minority enrollment of 59%, and students from many countries around the world, Athens Drive High School is the most diverse high school in Wake County. Both staff and students celebrate that diversity in many ways. This year, that means bringing back Culture Fest. Culture Fest will occur on May 28, 2024, and many people in charge of the event’s preparation are excited for the culture fest to make its comeback.

The event is set to take place from 5:30-7:00 p.m. and will feature student-made booths that represent various cultures. There will also be scheduled cultural performances, different foods, and other activities throughout the night.

“Overall, it is an educational event, where you can either teach others about yourself and your culture or learn about others as well,” said Adeena Khan, a senior who is helping to take part in the event’s organization.

Khan felt inspired to help take initiative this school year after her experience with Culture Fest when it was last celebrated two years ago.

“It was my sophomore year then, and I really remember it being one of the first school events I was really excited for,” said Khan. “Me and a bunch of people knew that we wanted to bring it back for this year so others could experience it for themselves as well!”

Khan and others not only hope that this year’s event is a success, but that the culture fest will continue after she graduates, and hopefully occur each school year. She urges anyone interested in participating to sign up for either representing their culture with a booth or performance.

“I’m excited to see what this year is going to be like and what’s going to be different about it [as opposed to previous celebrations],” said Esha Quazi, junior, another event organizer.

Culture Fest is one of many ways students celebrate Athens Drive diversity. Clubs like the Muslim Student Association, the Black and Brown Student Association, and the South Asian Student Association celebrate ethnic diversity, while groups such as the Genders and Sexualities Alliance celebrate other aspects of diversity. Khan, along with co-president Esha Quazi, runs the South Asian Student Association (SASA).

“We mainly created this club as a way of connection with one another, as a way to get to know about South Asian culture while having fun,” said Khan.

The club most recently held a ‘Chai and Chat’ meeting, celebrating South Asian drinks and desserts. Past meetings have included discussions about South Asian festivals, arts and crafts celebrating the flags of different South Asian countries, and more.

“We mainly just wanted to create a club that was both fun and educational while providing a positive overall experience,” said Khan.

“I think [celebrating diversity] is important because it helps people embrace their own culture and identity,” said Quazi. “That’s really important, especially because nowadays we are taught to conform to certain expectations and stereotypes, so I think just celebrating differences teaches us that people can be different.”

Anyone interested in manning a booth or performing should contact Adeena Khan as soon as possible before the event. Those wanting to attend should set their calendars, and plan to attend the event that will take place in the cafeteria on May 28.