Lisi Abete is a Freshmen at Athens Drive. This is her first semester in the Oracle and she works on staff relations. Abete loves cats and going on bike rides.

Taylor Malloy
Taylor Malloy
Co- Editor in Chief

Taylor Malloy is a senior at Athens Drive High School. This year she is the Co-Editor in Chief of the Athens Oracle. She enjoys playing volleyball and exercising in her free time. Taylor is excited for...

Jasmine A Glenn
Jasmine A Glenn
Copy Editor

Jasmine A. Glenn is a Junior at Athens Drive Magnet High School. Glenn loves animals and would do anything for an animal in need. A few of her favorite things are sunsets, her car, music, sports cars,...

The invincible Myles Bodor

Myles+Bodor+%28left%29+and+Lena+Flynn+%28right%29+celebrating+a+Friendsgiving+together.+Bodor+allowed+Flynn+to+put+hot+rollers+in+his+hair+and+claimed+he+was+burnt+by+them.+
Photos by Lena Flynn
Myles Bodor (left) and Lena Flynn (right) celebrating a Friendsgiving together. Bodor allowed Flynn to put hot rollers in his hair and claimed he was burnt by them.
Kermit the Frog looking battered and beat just as Myles Bodor was feeling in each of these stories. (Photos by Photo from Pixabay)
In November of 2021 Myles Bodor went back to his childhood home in Philadelphia to celebrate Thanksgiving with his family and met with his old friend Bryan Henriquez. (Photos by Myles Bodor)

The world is a dangerous place, and Myles Bodor, freshman, has proven it many times over. His injuries exceed his age and many believe his ability to come back from these injuries is astonishing. 

Bodor has been getting into trouble since he was merely nine months old. With second-degree burns on nearly 85% of his body and three months in the hospital, now 15 years later he still remembers the experience.

“I remember the smell of my skin burning. It smelled like apples and burning flesh. It’s a smell I’ll never forget. And I remember the burning and then losing consciousness,” Bodor said. “My mom was making homemade apple sauce in the crockpot and she left the chord down dangling and I pulled it and it fell all over me.

“My mom was making homemade apple sauce in the crockpot and she left the chord down dangling and I pulled it and it fell all over me,”

— Myles Bodor

Though second-degree burns are not as bad as third degree, they can still cause swelling, red, white, or splotchy skin, blisters, and are very painful. Deep second-degree burns can cause permanent scarring. Other long-term effects of burns include contractures, weakness, thermoregulation, itching, pain, sleep, body image, and impacted psychosocial well-being.

Bodor has also gotten burns from fireworks and firecrackers. While being hit with a mortar was painful, thinking he blew off his hand was worse. 

“I was with my friends back in Philly, Adrien and Bryan, and were lighting off firecrackers, having a good time. We drew this big role of it and there was only one left. These firecrackers had a normal size fuse, but they burn really really fast. Faster than normal. It fell off and only got halfway burnt and I was like ‘should I do it?’ so I lit it. It probably exploded 2 or 3 inches from my hand,” Bodor said. “Knocked me onto the floor for sure. Not too much happened to my hand, no blood or anything like that but it just hurt. Like someone hit it with a sledgehammer. And ya know, some ringing of the ears.”

“Knocked me onto the floor for sure. Not too much happened to my hand, no blood or anything like that but it just hurt. Like someone hit it with a sledge hammer. And ya know, some ringing of the ears,”

— Myles Bodor

When it comes to fireworks, it’s always best to leave it to the professionals and watch from a safe distance. Playing with them is always dangerous even when with an adult. Bodor was very lucky not to have any serious injuries or any long-term effects like permanent hearing loss and very well could have lost his hand or a finger. Other effects of handling fireworks unproperly can include restlessness, high blood pressure, and sleep disturbance. Playing with fireworks or firecrackers can also lead to respiratory problems like chronic or allergic bronchitis, bronchial asthma, sinus infection, stuffy nose, pneumonia, and laryngitis.

“Be safe and be careful because things happen that are unexpected all the time expect the best, prepare for the worst,” said Bodor.