Poetry club is positively perfect

Photos by Lena Flynn
Athens Drive Poetry club members in room 2824 after a meeting

Roses are red, violets are blue, I’d join the poetry club. How ‘bout you? Since school has started back for the 2021-2022 school year, the students at Athens Drive have started numerous new clubs, including the Poetry Club. 

“In a lot of ways it is a club to really just promote poetry among the students of Athens Drive, as well as just act as a place that people who enjoy poetry can kind of be together and learn together and thrive in that creative process,” said Alexander Mayhew, Junior.

Struck with a passion for poetry and drive to impact Athens, Mayhew took action in September.

“Alexander is in my first period and he came to me with the idea and he was really passionate about it and I personally don’t know that much about poetry but, with his knowledge and then how passionate he was about it and how much I do enjoy having him in class and I was like ‘course! Maybe I’ll learn a little too,” said Abigail Atwood, history teacher.

The club does more than just teach poetry, it creates a sense of community for Mayhew and the other attendees. 

“I just enjoy poetry and like to share that kind of expression and that love for poetry with the rest of the club. And the rest of the school. And also to make a kind of friend, a friend that enjoys poetry,” said Mayhew.

The club meets every Thursday in room 2824 after school to read poetry, interpret poetry, create poetry and make new friends through poetry. It is a free-flowing club. There are not many restrictions to individual creativity or group-wide activities.

“Down the road, if we can build up our membership, we might do some poetry slams and some out-of-school activities, but that really does depend on the interest and the people that are joining,” said Mayhew.