Courtesy of Ava Seay
Senior Spotlight: Ava Seay
Brady Jones, Assistant News Editor • June 4, 2024

As the school year fades to an end, many graduates are leaving the Athens Drive community to begin searching for their passions. While some...

Brady Jones has an on-stage-cameo as security guard in production called I Hate Shakespeare. Photo provided by Lauryn Webb
Senior spotlight: Brady Jones
Taylor Malloy, Editor in Chief • June 4, 2024

Athens Drive High School watches many of its students arrive as freshmen and leave as seniors. Some of these seniors stand out as being leaders,...

Jayvon Coleman at Athens Drive
Senior Spotlight: Jayvon Coleman
Sama Yousef, Staff Writer • June 4, 2024

Throughout high school, students achieve and extend themselves thoroughly; Senior Jayvon Coleman has pushed himself to perform excellence throughout...

Rachel Huffman, a cheerful senior at a companions home having a fun time with friends and her digital camera, at a get together.
Senior Spotlight: Rachel Huffman
Deevani Rodriguez, Features Copy Editor • June 4, 2024

Out of the graduating class of 2024, Senior Rachel Huffman has strived to do her best at leading and achieving greatness at Athens Drive Magnet...

The Drive Inquiry Clubs website is pictured. Dylan Ducatte dedicated a lot of her time while at Athens to the club.
Senior Spotlight: Dylan Ducatte
Sophie King, Assistant Editor • June 4, 2024

A true historian, senior Dylan Ducatte has spent her time at Athens fully engaged in all the school's social studies classes. Throughout her...

Skylar Moore at graduation rehearsal with fellow students.
Senior Spotlight: Skylar Moore
Rowan Bissett, Assistant Sports Editor • June 4, 2024

June 8, 2024, Athens seniors will walk the stage, take their diplomas, and finally finish high school. One of those Seniors is Skylar Moore,...

The legally questionable, yet morally sound teamwork of the FBI and Geek Squad

Both the FBI and Best Buy’s Geek Squad have been under fire in the media lately for their history of collaboration. The FBI was discovered to have been paying Geek Squad as informants when they came across, flagged and reported child pornography on their client’s devices.

This information was released to the Electronic Frontier Foundation, (EFF), a digital civil liberties organization, when they filed a Freedom of Information Act lawsuit. The documents obtained revealed the fact that at least one of the Geek Squad FBI informants received a $500 payment. However, at least one Geek Squad informant attempted to give the money back.

Geek Squad employees only flag material for the FBI when they come across child pornography on a client’s computer. Federal laws concerning the sexual exploitation of children state that it is a computer technician’s “duty to report” these pornographic images. This is an undeniably admirable cause that is tragically marred by the acceptance of payment for their good deeds. 

Mark Rettenmaier, an Orange County, California, doctor who took his computer to the Geek Squad for repair faced child pornography charges after an employee alerted the FBI. Unfortunately, the evidence was thrown out and charges dropped because of issues with the legality of the computer search and resulting search warrant.

The EFF expressed its’ concern that the FBI is using Geek Squad informants as a way to bypass the Fourth Amendment. The Fourth Amendment of the Constitution is what protects citizens from unreasonable searches and seizures.

However, this begs us to question— do consumers of child pornography, pedophiles, really deserve this right to privacy? After all, they are breaking the law and contributing to the despicable, egregious market for child pornography by providing demand for the material.  

Some of those who are in opposition to the Geek Squad’s policy suggest that employees may be searching customers’ devices with the motive of assisting the FBI. However, Geek Squad made a statement that says that their employees never look for “anything other than what is necessary to solve the customer’s problem.”

So, when the employees encounter child pornography on a client’s computer, it is not a purposeful action and therefore is not motivated. Geek Squad continued their statement to report that their technicians have “not sought or received training from law enforcement in how to search for child pornography.”

The other public issue with the Geek Squad’s actions is the payment some of their employees received for flagging the pornographic material to the FBI. While not all of the hundreds of cases per year received payment, the few that did shed a bad light on the objective.

The Geek Squad has both a moral and legal obligation to alert the proper authorities when their employees come across child pornography. Customers of Geek Squad are made aware of this policy in writing before the repair or service even begins.

If not for the debate of whether Geek Squad employees search for the illegal content on purpose or not and for the issue of payment for their deeds, society would be applauding their noble efforts. When opponents of this partnership cite Fourth Amendment rights, we need to think about whose privacy they are trying to protect and whether or not they deserve it.