Oracle Observations: Summer Funatics Podcast
Corissa Greene, Deevani Rodriguez, and Sama YousefApril 25, 2024

Ilyass Chabreg
Ilyass Chabreg
Staff Writer

Ilyass Chabreg is a sophomore at Athens Drive. He is a staff writer for the Athens Oracle. He enjoys playing soccer in his free time and plays for the school soccer team.

Sama Yousef
Sama Yousef
Staff Writer

Sama Yousef is driven to success. Overall she is a fun person to be around. She loves her job at Hollister that she works at with her friends and says it's a nice environment to be in. She enjoys going...

Sophie King
Sophie King

Sophie King is a Junior at Athens Drive and is the Editorial editor for the Athens Oracle. She enjoys hanging out with friends, painting, and playing the piano and guitar. She hopes to shine a light on...

Fifa’s 2018 World Cup Qualifiers

The FIFA World Cup is an international soccer tournament where each countries best players compete every four years. This Fifa world cup is scheduled to happen in Russia from June 14 to July 15 2018 after the country was presented with the hosting rights on December 2,  2010.This is the first World Cup held in Europe since the 2006 World Cup in Deutschland, Germany.

The final tournament will involve 32 national teams including Brazil , Switzerland and Japan. The tournament also includes the defending champions Germany, while the countries of Panama and Iceland will be making their first appearance in the Fifa World Cup.

“I think that Germany needs to step up their defense and also get better at passing the ball under pressure because I think this year Brazil is bringing that noise, and that Brazil is playing no games this year with Germany,” said Jared Gursslin, sophomore

A big shock this year to a lot of American soccer fans is that the U.S will not be in the Fifa 2018 World Cup after losing their deciding qualifying match to Trinidad and Tobago with a loss of  2-1.   This loss came as a upset to the U.S.  because Trinidad and Tobago only had one win before playing them.

“I’m not that surprised at the US losing, the U.S has never been very good at soccer. There are so many other countries that are way better at soccer. I really like soccer and I was very upset when I  got the news, but I just wish that we were better at soccer. Maybe later we will get better,” said Takeo Shakur, sophomore.

Germany, the defending Fifa World Cup champions,are coming back stronger than ever this year. Germany’s elo, or their national ranking, is second this year behind Brazil.

“I think the game should be interesting since it’s the first time that USA and Italy didn’t qualify for the Fifa World Cup. I think Belgium or France will be the favorites to win this year,” said Gabe Scranton, sophomore from the Athens Drive Soccer Team.