Women’s flag football comes “rushing” into Athens Drive

Athens+Drive+flag+football+team+preparing+for+their+first+tournament.+During+practice+the+team+utilizes+two+fields+and+splits+up+into+offensive+groups+and+defensive+groups.+
Photos by Taylor Malloy
Athens Drive flag football team preparing for their first tournament. During practice the team utilizes two fields and splits up into offensive groups and defensive groups.

Athens Drive flag football team has begun preparations for their first tournament on Saturday, Jan. 27, 2024. The girls and coaches have been attending practices since Jan. 10. The first Athens flag football team consists of 26 players and three coaches. Flag football is a new sport being introduced to Wake County targeting high school girls interested in football. 

USA Football and the Carolina Panthers collaborated to create the rules for this seven-on-seven program. However, the rules for flag football differ from traditional football rules. For example, when the opposing team’s defense plans to blitz the quarterback, they must stand seven yards away from the quarterback and raise their hand to notify the offensive team of their plans. Additionally, there are no fumbles. If a player drops the ball, the next play begins at the point where the player dropped the ball. 

The Athens flag football team participated in a scrimmage against South Garner but Saturday will mark the inaugural tournament for all of Wake County. The 24 teams attending will be divided into Groups A-E

“I think it’s exciting that Athens gets to host the first week… I think that’s a very cool experience for Athens,” said Flag Football coach Travis Seese. 

The tournament will take place at Jag Stadium and fans will be able to enter with the purchase of a $10 ticket. The field will be split up into three separate flag football fields. Athens will be playing Apex, Fuquay, and Millbrook for the first tournament. 

“I think the entire team is excited… we have some good competition but I think that will help us get better,” said Caroline Bowen, senior on the flag football team.

The flag football team will participate in two more tournaments following their first tournament. Depending on how the team does this Saturday, the second tournament will either be held at Rolesville High School or Middle Creek High School on Feb. 3. However, no matter the team’s record, the third tournament will be held at Athens Drive and will be called the “Sup-her Bowl.” This tournament will serve as the championship for teams that have made the playoffs. 

“I like that the program made it so that there is playoffs and a championship, I think it helps give the team motivation,” said Bowen.