Courtesy of Ava Seay
Senior Spotlight: Ava Seay
Brady Jones, Assistant News Editor • June 4, 2024

As the school year fades to an end, many graduates are leaving the Athens Drive community to begin searching for their passions. While some...

Brady Jones has an on-stage-cameo as security guard in production called I Hate Shakespeare. Photo provided by Lauryn Webb
Senior spotlight: Brady Jones
Taylor Malloy, Editor in Chief • June 4, 2024

Athens Drive High School watches many of its students arrive as freshmen and leave as seniors. Some of these seniors stand out as being leaders,...

Jayvon Coleman at Athens Drive
Senior Spotlight: Jayvon Coleman
Sama Yousef, Staff Writer • June 4, 2024

Throughout high school, students achieve and extend themselves thoroughly; Senior Jayvon Coleman has pushed himself to perform excellence throughout...

Rachel Huffman, a cheerful senior at a companions home having a fun time with friends and her digital camera, at a get together.
Senior Spotlight: Rachel Huffman
Deevani Rodriguez, Features Copy Editor • June 4, 2024

Out of the graduating class of 2024, Senior Rachel Huffman has strived to do her best at leading and achieving greatness at Athens Drive Magnet...

The Drive Inquiry Clubs website is pictured. Dylan Ducatte dedicated a lot of her time while at Athens to the club.
Senior Spotlight: Dylan Ducatte
Sophie King, Assistant Editor • June 4, 2024

A true historian, senior Dylan Ducatte has spent her time at Athens fully engaged in all the school's social studies classes. Throughout her...

Skylar Moore at graduation rehearsal with fellow students.
Senior Spotlight: Skylar Moore
Rowan Bissett, Assistant Sports Editor • June 4, 2024

June 8, 2024, Athens seniors will walk the stage, take their diplomas, and finally finish high school. One of those Seniors is Skylar Moore,...

GOP tax cut controversy

Congress had a lot on their plate this winter as they debated a new tax reform proposal backed by the Republicans that was eventually passed in the House of Representatives.

Congress’s Joint Committee on Taxation asserts that the proposed tax cuts would create more than $1 trillion in debt over the next decade.

Tax cuts have been proven to positively stimulate the economy. However, this only applies when economic growth is slowing down. Currently, the economy is growing and in a long recovery period. During periods of growth like the one we are currently in, the government should be making attempts to decrease its debt, not make it larger.

“I think the timing of this tax cut from the perspective of the deficit is completely upside down,” said Jared Bernstein, senior fellow at the Center on Budget and Policy Priorities.

Over time, the initial incentives that enticed supporters of the tax cuts will be eroded by inflation.

The most notable component of the proposal is a permanent reduction in the corporate tax rate from 35 percent to 21 percent. This will provide leaders of large, wealthy corporations a completely unnecessary financial break.

Other highly criticized aspects of the plan include capping the deduction for state and local taxes at $10,000 and eliminating the Affordable Care Act’s requirement that most people have health insurance.

The tax cuts will likely impact schools and teachers. The House bill plans to turn graduate student’s tuition waivers into taxable income, which would dramatically increase what they owe in taxes each year. It would also eliminate a tax deduction of up to $2,500 on student loan interest.

Many students have relied on these breaks in order to pursue higher education and these changes could result in a devastating decrease in graduate students.

The bill would also affect elementary, middle and high school levels of education. The House bill proposes a repeal of a $250 tax credit given to teachers who use their own money for various school supplies.

Representative Lloyd Doggett, Democrat of Texas, said, “We will be cleaning up this mess and the blunders in this bill all of next year.”