Courtesy of Ava Seay
Senior Spotlight: Ava Seay
Brady Jones, Assistant News Editor • June 4, 2024

As the school year fades to an end, many graduates are leaving the Athens Drive community to begin searching for their passions. While some...

Brady Jones has an on-stage-cameo as security guard in production called I Hate Shakespeare. Photo provided by Lauryn Webb
Senior spotlight: Brady Jones
Taylor Malloy, Editor in Chief • June 4, 2024

Athens Drive High School watches many of its students arrive as freshmen and leave as seniors. Some of these seniors stand out as being leaders,...

Jayvon Coleman at Athens Drive
Senior Spotlight: Jayvon Coleman
Sama Yousef, Staff Writer • June 4, 2024

Throughout high school, students achieve and extend themselves thoroughly; Senior Jayvon Coleman has pushed himself to perform excellence throughout...

Rachel Huffman, a cheerful senior at a companions home having a fun time with friends and her digital camera, at a get together.
Senior Spotlight: Rachel Huffman
Deevani Rodriguez, Features Copy Editor • June 4, 2024

Out of the graduating class of 2024, Senior Rachel Huffman has strived to do her best at leading and achieving greatness at Athens Drive Magnet...

The Drive Inquiry Clubs website is pictured. Dylan Ducatte dedicated a lot of her time while at Athens to the club.
Senior Spotlight: Dylan Ducatte
Sophie King, Assistant Editor • June 4, 2024

A true historian, senior Dylan Ducatte has spent her time at Athens fully engaged in all the school's social studies classes. Throughout her...

Skylar Moore at graduation rehearsal with fellow students.
Senior Spotlight: Skylar Moore
Rowan Bissett, Assistant Sports Editor • June 4, 2024

June 8, 2024, Athens seniors will walk the stage, take their diplomas, and finally finish high school. One of those Seniors is Skylar Moore,...

1,628 false claims in 298 days in office

As we approach the one year mark of Donald Trump’s presidency, studies revolving around the frequency of his inaccurate statements are coming to light. Trump is known for vocalizing various distortions, exaggerations, half truths and lies— but the actual statistics pertaining to how often these have occurred are unsettling.

As of Nov. 13, the total count in a long-term study conducted by The Washington Post stood at 1,628 false claims in 298 days. The rough average of this data is close to 5.5 claims a day.

When someone with such power and influence over the general public misuses their position to spread inaccurate information, it becomes substantially more problematic than an everyday person’s lie. This is because many people blindly trust Trump’s words simply due to his title as President.

A fictitious allegation Trump made against Hillary Clinton claimed that when Clinton “ran the State Department, $6 billion was missing…  $6 billion was either stolen or lost.” This rumor started due to a management alert from the State Department Inspector General in 2014. However, the alert highlighted missing paperwork that had not been accurately accounted for- not dollars.

Another circumstance in which Trump made a false statement that pertained to Clinton was when he claimed that he won the second debate with Hillary Clinton “in a landslide” in “every poll.” However, all 4 scientific polls showed that he lost and Clinton had actually won.

Unfortunately, some of Trump’s incorrect statements have been reiterated multiple times. So far, at least 50 claims have been repeated three or more times.

Claims that revolve around the idea that the Affordable Care Act is dying and “essentially dead” have been repeated 60 times, despite the Congressional Budget Office’s professional belief that Obamacare is not imploding and is expected to remain stable.

Trump also has an untruthful habit of taking credit for events and business decisions that happened before he even took the oath of office. On 55 occasions he claimed that he had secured business investments and jobs that had been previously announced. This could all be found with a basic Google search.

The President’s custom of lying should be a concern for all Americans, as we deserve a honest leader whose words we can trust. 1,628 false claims are 1,628 too many.