Courtesy of Ava Seay
Senior Spotlight: Ava Seay
Brady Jones, Assistant News Editor • June 4, 2024

As the school year fades to an end, many graduates are leaving the Athens Drive community to begin searching for their passions. While some...

Brady Jones has an on-stage-cameo as security guard in production called I Hate Shakespeare. Photo provided by Lauryn Webb
Senior spotlight: Brady Jones
Taylor Malloy, Editor in Chief • June 4, 2024

Athens Drive High School watches many of its students arrive as freshmen and leave as seniors. Some of these seniors stand out as being leaders,...

Jayvon Coleman at Athens Drive
Senior Spotlight: Jayvon Coleman
Sama Yousef, Staff Writer • June 4, 2024

Throughout high school, students achieve and extend themselves thoroughly; Senior Jayvon Coleman has pushed himself to perform excellence throughout...

Rachel Huffman, a cheerful senior at a companions home having a fun time with friends and her digital camera, at a get together.
Senior Spotlight: Rachel Huffman
Deevani Rodriguez, Features Copy Editor • June 4, 2024

Out of the graduating class of 2024, Senior Rachel Huffman has strived to do her best at leading and achieving greatness at Athens Drive Magnet...

The Drive Inquiry Clubs website is pictured. Dylan Ducatte dedicated a lot of her time while at Athens to the club.
Senior Spotlight: Dylan Ducatte
Sophie King, Assistant Editor • June 4, 2024

A true historian, senior Dylan Ducatte has spent her time at Athens fully engaged in all the school's social studies classes. Throughout her...

Skylar Moore at graduation rehearsal with fellow students.
Senior Spotlight: Skylar Moore
Rowan Bissett, Assistant Sports Editor • June 4, 2024

June 8, 2024, Athens seniors will walk the stage, take their diplomas, and finally finish high school. One of those Seniors is Skylar Moore,...

Protect yourself and others- vaccinate

The ability to vaccinate against disease has become one of the most impressive modern medical achievements. Vaccinations can effectively prevent and protect us from a multitude of illnesses. Worldwide, about 29 percent of deaths in children 1 to 59 months of age are vaccine preventable. Devastating illnesses that are vaccine-preventable include, but are not limited to pertussis, tetanus, chickenpox, HiB, (Haemophilus influenzae type B), measles, hepatitis, mumps and influenza. All of these can be severe and life-threatening.

The most common side-effects of vaccinations are a sore arm and mild fever. These minor complications are insignificant when compared to the awful symptoms of the illnesses they prevent. The American Academy of Pediatrics and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention both certify that vaccines are safe and effective.

Still, there are many people who purposefully refuse vaccinations for themselves and their children. Lack of trust in science, internet hoaxes and conspiracy theories have been known to overshadow the scientific evidence that vaccines are safe and effective.

A major setback in vaccination rates occurred after 1998 when a fraudulent report linked the Measles, Mumps, and Rubella, (MMR) vaccine to autism. This report was retracted quickly due to multiple thorough studies that showed no connection of the two, but it led to international fear and distrust of vaccines. This invalidated report distracted people from the fact that there are less than 1 in a million deaths from the MMR vaccine compared to 1 in 1000-2000 deaths from the disease itself.

Vaccinated people have a distinct advantage over those who choose not to vaccinate. These advantages are factually documented and people who are not immunized against measles are up to 35 times more likely to get measles than a vaccinated person. The Hib vaccine lowered the number of serious cases of infection by over 99 percent. About half of the infants who get pertussis must be hospitalized and can develop pneumonia and seizures. This potentially fatal illness can be avoided by a vaccine.

Those who refuse to be immunized often expect to be protected by high rates of vaccination among everyone else. This theory is ineffective because highly contagious diseases like measles require vaccination rates of 95 to 99 percent of people.

When someone chooses to not vaccinate their child, they are putting other children at risk. Unvaccinated people run a high risk of getting infants sick because they are too young to be vaccinated. Cancer and transplant patients are also more susceptible to illness due to weak immune systems and in some cases their medical state does not allow them to get a vaccine. By refusing vaccination, vulnerable people are put at an even higher risk and that is unfair.

Ensuring that you are keeping up with necessary vaccinations is critical to the health and safety of society as a whole.