Courtesy of Ava Seay
Senior Spotlight: Ava Seay
Brady Jones, Assistant News Editor • June 4, 2024

As the school year fades to an end, many graduates are leaving the Athens Drive community to begin searching for their passions. While some...

Brady Jones has an on-stage-cameo as security guard in production called I Hate Shakespeare. Photo provided by Lauryn Webb
Senior spotlight: Brady Jones
Taylor Malloy, Editor in Chief • June 4, 2024

Athens Drive High School watches many of its students arrive as freshmen and leave as seniors. Some of these seniors stand out as being leaders,...

Jayvon Coleman at Athens Drive
Senior Spotlight: Jayvon Coleman
Sama Yousef, Staff Writer • June 4, 2024

Throughout high school, students achieve and extend themselves thoroughly; Senior Jayvon Coleman has pushed himself to perform excellence throughout...

Rachel Huffman, a cheerful senior at a companions home having a fun time with friends and her digital camera, at a get together.
Senior Spotlight: Rachel Huffman
Deevani Rodriguez, Features Copy Editor • June 4, 2024

Out of the graduating class of 2024, Senior Rachel Huffman has strived to do her best at leading and achieving greatness at Athens Drive Magnet...

The Drive Inquiry Clubs website is pictured. Dylan Ducatte dedicated a lot of her time while at Athens to the club.
Senior Spotlight: Dylan Ducatte
Sophie King, Assistant Editor • June 4, 2024

A true historian, senior Dylan Ducatte has spent her time at Athens fully engaged in all the school's social studies classes. Throughout her...

Skylar Moore at graduation rehearsal with fellow students.
Senior Spotlight: Skylar Moore
Rowan Bissett, Assistant Sports Editor • June 4, 2024

June 8, 2024, Athens seniors will walk the stage, take their diplomas, and finally finish high school. One of those Seniors is Skylar Moore,...

Stunt Team

Stunt Team

Athens Drive will be introducing a new spring sport called stunt. The stunt team consists of building performances ranging from two legged stunts to one legged stunts to high flying basket tosses. Stunting is a section in cheerleading that has now branched off into its own sport. The interest meeting took place Monday, Feb. 9.

The stunt season will begin in February and end in late April. Stunt will have seven games per season that students can attend, usually Friday nights. Stunt is open to all grades, but was originally made as a college sport.

The workouts begin Monday, Feb. 16 from 2:40 – 3:40 p.m. in the lower gym and continue through Wed. every week until tryouts. Tryouts are on March 2 and 3. An updated physical must be on file in order to participate.

“I’m super excited about stunt. This really gives the girls a chance to show how much of a sport cheerleading really is,” said Chenetra Mangum, stunt coach.

Every stunt team in Wake County learns the same routine, which is divided into seven different plays. The selected stunt groups from each team go head to head against each other on a divided mat. Each play lasts for 30 seconds and whichever team performs it the most firmly with the least mistakes wins points. Teams can also forfeit a play and receive no points for that section. Whichever team ends the game with the most points wins.

Stunt will have home and away games like any other sport, and there are two halves and four quarters like a football game. The first quarter will be partner stunts, second will be team tumbling and jumps, third quarter will be pyramids and tosses and the fourth quarter will be team performances. Quarters one and three are side by side competitions, while quarters two and four have teams take turns.

“I don’t really know what to expect from stunt, but it sounds really fun and I can’t wait to be a part of it!” said Allie Denton, freshman.

Before each quarter, coaches take turns having possession of the level call. This way teams can strategize and pick sequences that they are strongest in and that they believe they can execute better than the other team.

“It will take a tremendous amount of work, but it will all be worth it,” said Mangum.