Jasmine A Glenn
Jasmine A Glenn
Copy Editor

Jasmine A. Glenn is a Junior at Athens Drive Magnet High School. Glenn loves animals and would do anything for an animal in need. A few of her favorite things are sunsets, her car, music, sports cars,...

Mrs. Hornick is the adviser for The Athens Oracle, a position she has been lucky to hold for over 15 years! She loves watching her students grow as writers and some of her favorite parts of the class are...

Erin McNeese
Erin McNeese
Copy Editor

Erin McNeese is a senior at Athens Drive High School. They look forward to another great year of writing stories to share with her peers at the Drive. Outside of school you can find them participating...

Athens participates in celebrate my drive

The week of September 22-26, Wake County lost a high school student due to reckless driving. In light of the accident, Athens Drive is participating in “Celebrate My Drive,” a safe driving campaign. State Farm, official sponsor of “Celebrate My Drive,” aims to reward high schools who the most students that pledge to drive safely.

“A lot of teens are overconfident and like to take risks. They think nothing will happen to them,” said Hailey Hunnicutt, senior.

Research shows that car accidents have become the leading cause of death to teens in America. “Celebrate My Drive” is bringing awareness to reckless driving to high schools by encouraging teenage drivers to taking driving seriously.

The message the campaign is marketing is “2N2.” Abbreviated for “two eyes on the road, two hands on the wheel,” The short mantra is meant to emphasize the foundation of safe driving.

“I think it’s important that young drivers realize that you have to pay attention to other drivers on the road as well as yourself,” said Lakshmi Sridhar, senior

To make the commitment, students must go to celebratemydrive.com between October 15 and October 24. Athens will be competing with high schools around the U.S. in the large high school category, with more than 750 students.

The winners of the safe driving campaign are the top 100 school that have the most students to take the “2N2” pledge. There are different categories of prizes that are awarded which include from $25 thousand and $100 thousand grants and a concert featuring The Band Perry.

Last year, “Celebrate my Drive” launched its campaign everywhere in North America. More than six million safe driving commitments were made. The goal this year is the same as last year; to continue to spread awareness and celebrate safe teen driving across the country.