Courtesy of Ava Seay
Senior Spotlight: Ava Seay
Brady Jones, Assistant News Editor • June 4, 2024

As the school year fades to an end, many graduates are leaving the Athens Drive community to begin searching for their passions. While some...

Brady Jones has an on-stage-cameo as security guard in production called I Hate Shakespeare. Photo provided by Lauryn Webb
Senior spotlight: Brady Jones
Taylor Malloy, Editor in Chief • June 4, 2024

Athens Drive High School watches many of its students arrive as freshmen and leave as seniors. Some of these seniors stand out as being leaders,...

Jayvon Coleman at Athens Drive
Senior Spotlight: Jayvon Coleman
Sama Yousef, Staff Writer • June 4, 2024

Throughout high school, students achieve and extend themselves thoroughly; Senior Jayvon Coleman has pushed himself to perform excellence throughout...

Rachel Huffman, a cheerful senior at a companions home having a fun time with friends and her digital camera, at a get together.
Senior Spotlight: Rachel Huffman
Deevani Rodriguez, Features Copy Editor • June 4, 2024

Out of the graduating class of 2024, Senior Rachel Huffman has strived to do her best at leading and achieving greatness at Athens Drive Magnet...

The Drive Inquiry Clubs website is pictured. Dylan Ducatte dedicated a lot of her time while at Athens to the club.
Senior Spotlight: Dylan Ducatte
Sophie King, Assistant Editor • June 4, 2024

A true historian, senior Dylan Ducatte has spent her time at Athens fully engaged in all the school's social studies classes. Throughout her...

Skylar Moore at graduation rehearsal with fellow students.
Senior Spotlight: Skylar Moore
Rowan Bissett, Assistant Sports Editor • June 4, 2024

June 8, 2024, Athens seniors will walk the stage, take their diplomas, and finally finish high school. One of those Seniors is Skylar Moore,...

Deevani Rodriguez
Deevani Rodriguez
Features copy editor

Deevani is an open minded character, she likes fitness, eating, and spending quality time with her loved ones. She hopes to write more exciting, engaging articles.

Erin McNeese
Erin McNeese
Copy Editor

Erin McNeese is a senior at Athens Drive High School. They look forward to another great year of writing stories to share with her peers at the Drive. Outside of school you can find them participating...

Rowan Bissett
Rowan Bissett
Assistant Sports Editor

Rowan is a Sophomore at Athens, and when she is not writing for the Oracle, she's playing volleyball, volunteering, or being apart of Athens clubs. She's excited to be in her second semester of the Oracle...

Senior Spotlight: Taranjit Kaur

Senior+Taranjit+Kaur+will+attend+UNC+Chapel+Hill+to+major+in+Biology+and+minor+in+Neuroscience.+
Photos by Taranjit Kaur
Senior Taranjit Kaur will attend UNC Chapel Hill to major in Biology and minor in Neuroscience.

Senior Taranjit Kaur was born in a small village in India, and has faced many challenges and experiences to now be getting her diploma at Athens Drive. Once in America, Kaur had to move around a lot and was eventually separated from her siblings. Her mother, who received no education past high school, and her father, who escaped an alcoholic background, became the only family she knew. These shifts and circumstances are what drove Kaur to become the self-reliant individual that she is now, attending UNC Chapel Hill in the fall, majoring in Biology with a minor in neuroscience. 

For her freshman and sophomore years of high school, Kaur attended Panther Creek High School which consisted of a very competitive student body, one that always prevented her from being recognized. 

“There’s this big giant crowd that you get submerged into,” said Kaur.

Despite having one of the top GPAs in her class, and securing many board positions in extremely competitive extracurriculars such as DECA and Rock the Street Wall Street as a sophomore, Kaur always seemed to be one one step behind her fellow classmates. This changed once she moved yet again to another school her junior year.

“It was a magnet school so I expected it to be more rigorous and competitive than Panther Creek,” said Kaur, “but it wasn’t bad at all.”

Kaur was surprised once she switched to Athens Drive. The students at Athens didn’t create a heavily competitive environment like the students at Panther Creek did, which put Kaur outside of her comfort zone. There was so much more diversity and room for expansion in terms of competitive clubs that she knew she had to make her mark.

“I contacted the entire English department to try and start up the National English Honor Society,” said Kaur. “Nobody seemed to have the time for it.”

Kaur brought new clubs to Athens, including the NEHS, DECA, TSA, and the FBLA, and soon took on many board positions, resorting to the competitive environment she was so used to. Despite being introverted, Kaur found her role at Athens. She was performing well academically and took on many rigorous AP courses, determined to appreciate the sacrifices her parents made for her.

“Seeing what that did to my mom,” said Kaur. “Even now she still wishes she got that education, even just to speak English.”

Kaur finds her mother to be her main motivation for performing well in school. She believes that education provides a sense of confidence in every individual. It instills a belief that, when learning something new, given some time, anything is understandable and comprehensible. Without that knowledge, that pillar of reliability, that confidence will not come out of nowhere. 

“Seeing that, and what it did to her, even after fifty years of her life, I feel like… I’ve been given all these opportunities, I need to grasp them,” said Kaur.

Kaur’s academic interest lies within the health science field. She hopes to pursue a career as a plastic surgeon to give back to her community in India. In Punjab, the village she was born in, acid attack burns are a crucial problem, and the number of attacks keeps increasing. These attacks in Punjab are mainly caused by corrosive acid which is sold so conventionally as a cleaning product. 

“More regulations need to be set and that’s why I also want to go into international policy-making sometime into my college career, to mandate that,” said Kaur. “Hopefully, that’s the goal.”

With an ambitious mindset, Kaur hopes to pursue all of her dreams through higher education. The same education that her mother never received. It is her mother that stands by her in terms of Kaur’s education. Her mother, who doesn’t fully understand what a degree is, is set on helping her with her academics and ensuring that Kaur receives the education that her mother never got. Her mother puts aside the fact that she doesn’t understand what Kaur is talking about and stands by her daughter, encouraging her to achieve, achieve, achieve.

“That little thing is so profound to me,” said Kaur. “That’s what makes education so important to me.”