Manga Club at ADHS

Manga are comics created in Japan that formed in the late 19th century, Manga has also become a popular genre for many young adults around the world. Manga’s have also become animated into something called “Anime”. The Anime & Manga community has developed many different fan bases, websites, clubs, and cons and there is a Manga Club that takes place at Athens Drive.

Manga club started four years ago at Athens Drive. Activities that go on at Manga Club are mainly discussions about new and upcoming anime’s and manga’s. Popular manga today include “Attack on Titan”, “Free!” and “Sword Art Online” along with many other manga’s that have been adapted into popular animes. Each manga/anime usually has a distinct plot that involves the main character embarking on a journey to fulfill a influencing goal they have had for awhile.

“Attack on Titan” would be an appropriate example of a standard manga/anime because it has been a popular anime and manga for the past few years. “Attack on Titan’s” first original publication began in 2009 and is still going today with already 13 volumes. “Attack on Titan” is about a young boy named Eren Jaeger who sets off with his goal to kill of every single Titan from the face of the Earth. Jaeger and his adoptive sister Mikasa Ackerman and best friend Armin Artlert set off on their journey after their families had been attacked by titans.

Titan’s are giant, skinless, almost human like creatures that can range from five meters to 60 meters. Titan’s devour humans, though the reason is unknown, the military (Survival Corps and Survey Corps) do all they can to stop them. The club talks about modern works and theories and Attack on Titan has been a popular one so far.

The main character, Eren Jaeger, is embarking on his journey to fulfill his influencing goal which is to kill every single titan from the face of the Earth. This theme is very common in other works by other manga writers. Manga Club explores the difference of these themes and make different fan-theories, fan art and fanfictions about various Manga’s.

The main goal of Manga club this year is to go to Animazement, a large anime convention in downtown Raleigh, as a group to discover new styles and portrayals of different anime and manga by planning a fundraiser to go.

“Animazement is just this huge con where you get to meet new people and at the same time hang out in cosplay which is always interesting to see other people in,” said Connie Chang, freshman, and secretary of the club. Chang has been helping organize the fundraiser by bringing up the topic of a bake sale to raise money to fund the club and go to Animazement.

Manga Club meets every other Thursday at A-Lunch in the Gradpoint room.