Carolina Panthers boost girls flag football fun in local high schools

Women playing flag football in an important tournament. Photos Courtesy of Yura Forrat.

The Carolina Panthers are donating money to start women’s flag football teams in 19 high schools across Wake County. This significant move is all about getting more girls into sports by playing flag football.

Starting in January, the program is gearing up for tryouts and practices to get ready for an out-of-the-ordinary season. Instead of regular games, this first year will have three tournaments, all on Saturdays, making it like a mini-championship.

saying, “I never thought we’d get a chance to play flag football at school. This is super exciting, and I can’t wait to be part of the team,” said Ella Johnson, sophomore.

The Panthers are doing more than just giving money. They are covering important requirements like refs, coaches’ pay, preparing the fields for play, and much more. They want to make sure everything runs out smoothly so the girls can focus on having a great time playing as their top priority. 

“The Panthers support is a game changer for us. It’s not just about the money it’s about giving these girls a chance to shine on the field and show what they are made of,” said Tyler Granger, coach of women’s flag football at Athens Drive. 

The Panthers plan to provide helpful tips on teamwork, leadership, and sticking with it. This approach aims to teach and help the players become better, more confident, and more competitive in order to play their best.

“Having tournaments makes it even more exciting. It’s like every game is a big deal,  and we’ll give it our all,” said Johnson. 

This is a big deal for girls who love sports, and it’s all thanks to the Panthers wanting to help out in the community. 

“We are all hyped up and excited for women’s flag football and we wish many people come out and watch what these players can do,” said Granger.