Cheerleading can be more than you think

Raynor and the other varsity cheerleaders were cheering for the Athens Drive team.
Photos Courtesy of Morgan DeYoung
Photos by Morgan DeYoung
Raynor and the other varsity cheerleaders were cheering for the Athens Drive team. Photos Courtesy of Morgan DeYoung

Cheerleading is in full swing at Athens Drive. The Varsity and JV cheer teams, along with their coach, Morgan DeYoung, have been eagerly started of this season to support their players. The cheer team at Athens Drive is known for their enthusiasm and dedication to their sport. 

“It was really good, it feels good to win by so much at senior night,” said Ashley Raynor, varsity cheerleader.

Raynor and the other varsity cheerleaders were cheering for the Athens Drive team (Photos by Morgan DeYoung)

Raynor is a sophomore at the Drive varsity cheerleading team. She has been involved in cheerleading since she was a little girl. Her mother and older sister were also cheerleaders; her mother cheered during college and her older sister cheered throughout high school. Cheerleading has become a significant part of Raynor’s life. She loves the excitement of performing in front of a crowd and with her teammates. Raynor developed a passion for cheerleading by following in the footsteps of her family members. As she saw her family members cheer she tried it out and grew a liking towards it. 

“My mom and my older sister inspired me to do cheerleading after seeing them I thought why not try it,” said Raynor.

Raynor had to take a gap year from cheerleading due to the COVID-19 pandemic. This forced her to take a break until the 8th grade when she started cheering again. Raynor has now made it to the varsity team, which entails more work and takes a toll on her social life. Raynor finds it challenging because people know her more than she knows them. However, being on the varsity team has been great so far. Though practice comes with work, she loves her teammates and enjoys working with them.

“Now that I am on the cheer team and varsity it puts you out there, and a lot of people know who you are,” said Raynor.

In the future, Raynor plans on following in the footsteps of her mother and older sister by continuing to cheer. She hopes to join a college cheerleading team after she graduates. Raynor’s favorite moment from the season of cheer was the homecoming game. Raynor loved the environment of how many people came to enjoy and support Athen’s teams. 

“So many people come to support the football team and the cheer team too,” said Raynor.

Varsity cheerleaders after the senior night win at Athens Drive (Photos by Morgan DeYoung)

Coach DeYoung, also was inspired just like Raynor.  Coach DeYoung who is the cheerleading coach at the Drive, used to participate in the sport when she was younger before becoming a coach. She has been coaching at the Drive for nine years. Coach DeYoung’s parents enrolled her in cheerleading when she was young, and she grew to have a passion for it after years of practice. Later, she moved to North Carolina and became a coach at Athens.

“It was something that I was passionate about and have done for so long it was something that I genuinely enjoyed and wanted to grow with,” said Coach DeYoung.

Coach DeYoung is committed to continuing to help our team improve and have a great cheer season together. Her favorite moment from this season was the entire football season. She enjoyed seeing the team cheer on their school, regardless of whether Athens won or lost. It was a great experience because the cheerleaders helped us stay motivated and enthusiastic. As a result, the fans could cheer on our teams even more effectively.

Seeing them celebrate after a win and all the joy it brings to their face,” said Coach DeYoung.