The ways that different countries celebrate Halloween

This+is+a+pumpkin+in+the+Athens+Drive+library.+Its+been+painted+with+a+witch+riding+a+broom+for+Halloween.+
Photos by Liliana Sines-Kleist
This is a pumpkin in the Athens Drive library. It’s been painted with a witch riding a broom for Halloween.

Halloween is one of the oldest holidays that is celebrated all over the world on Oct. 31. While some countries put their own spin on this enjoyable holiday, others don’t choose not to celebrate Halloween altogether. Instead, they have their own holidays that correlate with their specific culture. 

In the United States, people celebrate Halloween Oct. 31, by doing various activities such as trick or treating, going to haunted houses, or indulging in an at-home movie binge. People within the U.S. typically enjoy this holiday because it is the one day of the year they can pretend to be someone else. Different costumes are seen everywhere while trick-or-treating, the most popular being vampires, clowns, and witches. Candy is given out at doors after saying the well-known term “Trick-or-Treat”.”  Others will throw parties and celebrate this holiday with a big bash. However, since the United States is a country that is formed on immigration, not everyone in the country celebrates Halloween in the “traditional” way. 

In Latin America and Spain, they choose not to celebrate Halloween. Instead, they celebrate a holiday called Día de los Muertos (Day of the Dead), on Nov. 2. This holiday was created to  honor deceased loved ones and ancestors of families. People in these countries celebrate this on Nov. 2. Families make altars to honor their loved ones, they will put photographs, candy and flowers on the altars. Many also put their deceased families’ favorite foods and drinks on the altars as well. Día de los Muertos is said to be very important to the ones who choose to celebrate it. 

In England, they participate in Guy Fawkes Day, which is celebrated on Nov 5. The holiday’s name came from the English traitor, Guy Fawkes. Although this holiday has little to do with Halloween, they light bonfires, set off fireworks and effigies are burned throughout the country. Most people in England stopped celebrating Halloween because of the reformation of their religion. People who followed this new religion do not believe in saints, which gave them no reason to celebrate Halloween. 

In Ireland, Halloween is celebrated similarly to how it is in the United States. People of various ages dress up as all sorts of different characters. Kids go out trick-or-treating and teenagers attend parties. Similarly to the U.S., houses are decorated with traditional Halloween decorations. Barnbrack, a traditional Halloween fruitcake, may also be shared with family and friends during this holiday. Many events held during this holiday are family-oriented, such as the Banks of the Foyle Halloween Carnival, where there are costumes, fireworks and live music. 

Although Halloween is a very popular holiday, not every country celebrates it the same, or even at all. People all over the world have different traditions and participate in different cultures. Halloween comes in all shapes and sizes throughout the world. No matter how the holiday is celebrated, there’s always some kind of enjoyable fun to be had.