TikTok becoming more popular with teens

Peyton+Joyner%2C+junior+and+Glory+Aghimien%2C+junior+watching+TIkToks+during+their+free+time+in+class.+
Peyton Joyner, junior and Glory Aghimien, junior watching TIkToks during their free time in class.

The new Vine meets Instagram social media app is breaking into the scenes with more than 500 million active monthly users. TikTok is a music video sharing app allowing users to create short comedic, lip -sync and talent based videos. 

Similar to other social media apps, TikTok has a feed users scroll through with a like, comment and share option on each video. The app also includes innovative filters, video effects and photo templates to allow users full creative expression. 

“I use TikTok because it is a way for me to be creative and have fun. TikTok provides entertainment for all ages and most apps these days can be focused towards only one group of people,” said Lauren Parrish, junior. 

TikTok is not the first popular lip-syncing app of its kind. Musical.ly, the hit craze in 2016, was bought for one billion dollars by the Beijing tech company ByteDance who owned the less popular TikTok, only released in China at the time. In August 2018, Musical.ly was merged with TikTok creating the app used around the world today. 

“I think TikTok is better because it is more inclusive than other apps,” said Fiona Wright, junior. 

Even while being the most downloaded app in Apple’s iOS app store in 2019 so far, a large amount of today’s older generation is unfamiliar with the craze. According to Global Web Index, 41% of TikTok users are between 16 and 24 years old and 56% of users are male. 

Hashtags also play a big role in the app’s success. Users are able to post videos with accompanying hashtags, similar to other social media platforms. The hashtag feature on TikTok plays a more prominent role as most of the popular challenges are stamped with a specific hashtag, which is then used by other users wanting to participate in the challenge. This provides users a sense of inclusivity along with an organization tool when browsing the app.   

“My favorite part about the app is that anyone can get recognized for their original content. Also it’s another way to communicate with friends as well,” said Parrish, junior. 

Although it is a shameless pastime for most people, some users have become successful enough to make money. Followers of popular users are able to buy them virtual gifts on the app ranging from 50 cents to $50, which goes to the pockets of the receiver and to the app itself. Music labels and brands that partner with the app can also profit. 

“People getting paid to be on social media platforms is a good way to make money and they are still able to do what they love so I think it is amazing they have turned something so simple into a lifestyle,” said Wright, junior.

TikTok’s popularity is undeniable among Generation Z and Millenials. With the average screen time on the app being almost one hour and now being available in 155 countries, the apps  success is only growing.

“I absolutely love TikTok, it is probably my favorite app on my phone right now,” said Parrish.