Lawrence Dunn honored in NCHSAA

Lawrence Dunn, a former Athens Drive teacher and coach, was recently added to the North Carolina High School Athletic Association (NCHSAA), for contributing to high school sports in North Carolina. During the month of February, in honor of Black History Month, the NCHSAA website features information about coaches and players that have contributed to high schools in North Carolina.

Black history week is an annual observance originating in the United States, where it is also known as African-American History Month. It has received official recognition from the United States and Canadian governments. The precursor to Black History Month began in 1926 in the United States by the historian Carter G. Woodson and the ASALH. Black History Week was chosen to be the second week of February,  because it coincid

Major African American people that have contributed to Black History.

ed with Abraham Lincoln’s birthday February 12 and of Frederick Douglass February 14. Black communities have celebrated together on both these dates since the late 19th century. This week for African Americans has been very important for recognition and importance.

Black History Month started 44 years after this by black educators and the Black United Students at Kent State University in February 1970. After six years, Black History Month was finally recognized and celebrated all across the country. Places that were celebrated in were educational institutions and centers of Black culture and community centers, both big and small.

“Black History Month to me is very important because it shows the great passion and sacrifice of what our people did to do something right. It also represents the important factors and achievements black people have done to get to where we are today,” said JT, Freshman at Athens Drive.

Dunn was an athlete himself and a Wake County coach. Dunn enjoyed his coaching career in basketball and baseball as well as track and cross country at a couple of schools in Wake County. Coach Dunn graduated from Berry O’Kelly High and then North Carolina A&T State University, where he was an athletic basketball player.

According to NCHSAA, “Dunn guided the Garner women’s basketball team to a state championship and a perfect record in the 1977-78 season. Then, from 1979 to 2001, he guided the Athens Drive men’s basketball program to 445 victories against just 193 defeats. His teams won numerous conference championships in men’s basketball and also captured titles in cross country. Dunn coached the East squad in the North Carolina Coaches Association all-star basketball game in 1990.”

After coach Dunn’s experience with sports and coaching for different schools across Wake County, he was involved with the Fellowship of Christian Athletes and as advisor for the student council at Athens Drive. But towards later in the years, in 2013 Coach Dunn was officially inducted into the North Carolina High School Athletic Association Hall of Fame.