Courtesy of Ava Seay
Senior Spotlight: Ava Seay
Brady Jones, Assistant News Editor • June 4, 2024

As the school year fades to an end, many graduates are leaving the Athens Drive community to begin searching for their passions. While some...

Brady Jones has an on-stage-cameo as security guard in production called I Hate Shakespeare. Photo provided by Lauryn Webb
Senior spotlight: Brady Jones
Taylor Malloy, Editor in Chief • June 4, 2024

Athens Drive High School watches many of its students arrive as freshmen and leave as seniors. Some of these seniors stand out as being leaders,...

Jayvon Coleman at Athens Drive
Senior Spotlight: Jayvon Coleman
Sama Yousef, Staff Writer • June 4, 2024

Throughout high school, students achieve and extend themselves thoroughly; Senior Jayvon Coleman has pushed himself to perform excellence throughout...

Rachel Huffman, a cheerful senior at a companions home having a fun time with friends and her digital camera, at a get together.
Senior Spotlight: Rachel Huffman
Deevani Rodriguez, Features Copy Editor • June 4, 2024

Out of the graduating class of 2024, Senior Rachel Huffman has strived to do her best at leading and achieving greatness at Athens Drive Magnet...

The Drive Inquiry Clubs website is pictured. Dylan Ducatte dedicated a lot of her time while at Athens to the club.
Senior Spotlight: Dylan Ducatte
Sophie King, Assistant Editor • June 4, 2024

A true historian, senior Dylan Ducatte has spent her time at Athens fully engaged in all the school's social studies classes. Throughout her...

Skylar Moore at graduation rehearsal with fellow students.
Senior Spotlight: Skylar Moore
Rowan Bissett, Assistant Sports Editor • June 4, 2024

June 8, 2024, Athens seniors will walk the stage, take their diplomas, and finally finish high school. One of those Seniors is Skylar Moore,...

Shane Barry awarded Athens Drive 2017-2018 Teacher of the Year

The 2017 Athens Drive Teacher of the Year is science teacher, Shane Barry. A large group comprised of administrators, students, teachers, and principal, Stephen Mares, surprised Barry while he was teaching his fourth period physics class on Friday, November 3. Mares announced that Barry had won and administrators handed him balloons and a sign to congratulate him.

Barry graduated from North Carolina State University with a degree in Civil Engineering. Before his seven years, and counting, of teaching at ADHS, he worked as a field engineer on the Pentagon Renovation project in Arlington, Virginia. He currently teaches Honors Physics, AP Physics and STEM Capstone classes.

Barry’s favorite part of teaching high schoolers is, “the connections that you make with students,” while the biggest challenge was that, “some high school students are troublesome, and making connections in some cases can be hard.”

“A lot of times there are long hours and a lot of work, and you’re not always as appreciated as I feel in this moment,” said Barry about his experiences in teaching. Expressing his deep gratitude for everyone who supported him, Barry said, “I feel like I’ve always been a teacher.”

View Comments (1)