Courtesy of Ava Seay
Senior Spotlight: Ava Seay
Brady Jones, Assistant News Editor • June 4, 2024

As the school year fades to an end, many graduates are leaving the Athens Drive community to begin searching for their passions. While some...

Brady Jones has an on-stage-cameo as security guard in production called I Hate Shakespeare. Photo provided by Lauryn Webb
Senior spotlight: Brady Jones
Taylor Malloy, Editor in Chief • June 4, 2024

Athens Drive High School watches many of its students arrive as freshmen and leave as seniors. Some of these seniors stand out as being leaders,...

Jayvon Coleman at Athens Drive
Senior Spotlight: Jayvon Coleman
Sama Yousef, Staff Writer • June 4, 2024

Throughout high school, students achieve and extend themselves thoroughly; Senior Jayvon Coleman has pushed himself to perform excellence throughout...

Rachel Huffman, a cheerful senior at a companions home having a fun time with friends and her digital camera, at a get together.
Senior Spotlight: Rachel Huffman
Deevani Rodriguez, Features Copy Editor • June 4, 2024

Out of the graduating class of 2024, Senior Rachel Huffman has strived to do her best at leading and achieving greatness at Athens Drive Magnet...

The Drive Inquiry Clubs website is pictured. Dylan Ducatte dedicated a lot of her time while at Athens to the club.
Senior Spotlight: Dylan Ducatte
Sophie King, Assistant Editor • June 4, 2024

A true historian, senior Dylan Ducatte has spent her time at Athens fully engaged in all the school's social studies classes. Throughout her...

Skylar Moore at graduation rehearsal with fellow students.
Senior Spotlight: Skylar Moore
Rowan Bissett, Assistant Sports Editor • June 4, 2024

June 8, 2024, Athens seniors will walk the stage, take their diplomas, and finally finish high school. One of those Seniors is Skylar Moore,...

Lineberry crowned Gradman in seniors’ end of year show

Worth+Lineberry+crowned+Gradman+at+this+years+senior+Gradman+show.+Twelve+senior+boys+and+ten+senior+girls+spent+the+past+three+months+preparing+for+the+talent+show+which+raised+over+%244%2C000+for+the+Make-A-Wish+Foundation.+
Photos by Declan Hoffman
Worth Lineberry crowned Gradman at this year’s senior Gradman show. Twelve senior boys and ten senior girls spent the past three months preparing for the talent show which raised over $4,000 for the Make-A-Wish Foundation.

The 18th annual senior “Gradman” show brought another year of passion and friendship in what the majority of the audience found to be a highly entertaining show, celebrating students’ last year in high school, while raising over $4,000 for the Make-A-Wish Foundation. By the end of the night, Worth Lineberry was crowned Gradman as “Mr. Cute” in a tight vote ahead of runner-up Ryan Schneider as “Mr. Musical.”

“Gradman made my high school experience complete. Since I was a freshman, I have always wanted to be able to participate in Gradman and actually doing it with all my friends my senior year just made my senior year complete,” said Lineberry.

This year’s senior pageant for boys featured the traditional talent presentations, athletic displays and group acts and dances. Twelve senior boys nominated by the senior class, escorts, stagehands, technical crews and the show’s advisor, Christopher Remaley, spent the past three months preparing and coordinating smaller details to ensure a successful show.

“Gradman was a lot of work. My sole job was to make sure Philippe had the smoothest and most stress-free show as possible,” said Sarah Cook, Gradman finalist Philippe Garay’s escort.

Escorts serve as the finalists’ assistants, aiding in the production of each of their individual acts in the show. They also helped with miscellaneous tasks that made the show possible, including constructing backdrops and promoting the show throughout the student body. During the show, escorts acted as stagehands, managing costume changes and props, but ultimately accompanied their Gradman finalist onstage for the award presentation.

This year’s show quickly became one of the most highly praised Gradman shows with much praise for the performance of the finalists in addition to the well-rehearsed choreography of events behind the scenes.

“Gradman was extremely entertaining. I was very impressed by the performance of all the guys, especially their dancing … overall much more entertaining than a lot of other years,” said Jeanna Cooper, Gradman judge.

The year’s success came with its challenges, however.  

“People had to meet in the middle on a lot of stuff. Also, we had to make some minor adjustments here and there because some of our activities were inappropriate. Wrapping everything all together with the lights and costumes—getting into the flow of the show—was a challenge toward the end,” said Lineberry.

Regardless, the entire Gradman cast took part in a unique experience that they will unlikely forget.

“The show is never not fun–it’s never ending laughter–and promotes a great cause to raise money for charity,” said Remaley.  

The show encompassed the twelve Gradman finalists performing each of their group and individual acts in front of a panel of 10 senior girl judges who ultimately vote on the Gradman. All of the money raised from student donations throughout the weeks leading up to the show are combined for the Gradman’s charity of choice.

“I think many people will agree with me when I say the show turned out amazing. It was great seeing how far we came from the first full run through to show day … It was a great feeling to see all our hard work pay off and to hear the audience laughing,” said Cook.