Courtesy of Ava Seay
Senior Spotlight: Ava Seay
Brady Jones, Assistant News Editor • June 4, 2024

As the school year fades to an end, many graduates are leaving the Athens Drive community to begin searching for their passions. While some...

Brady Jones has an on-stage-cameo as security guard in production called I Hate Shakespeare. Photo provided by Lauryn Webb
Senior spotlight: Brady Jones
Taylor Malloy, Editor in Chief • June 4, 2024

Athens Drive High School watches many of its students arrive as freshmen and leave as seniors. Some of these seniors stand out as being leaders,...

Jayvon Coleman at Athens Drive
Senior Spotlight: Jayvon Coleman
Sama Yousef, Staff Writer • June 4, 2024

Throughout high school, students achieve and extend themselves thoroughly; Senior Jayvon Coleman has pushed himself to perform excellence throughout...

Rachel Huffman, a cheerful senior at a companions home having a fun time with friends and her digital camera, at a get together.
Senior Spotlight: Rachel Huffman
Deevani Rodriguez, Features Copy Editor • June 4, 2024

Out of the graduating class of 2024, Senior Rachel Huffman has strived to do her best at leading and achieving greatness at Athens Drive Magnet...

The Drive Inquiry Clubs website is pictured. Dylan Ducatte dedicated a lot of her time while at Athens to the club.
Senior Spotlight: Dylan Ducatte
Sophie King, Assistant Editor • June 4, 2024

A true historian, senior Dylan Ducatte has spent her time at Athens fully engaged in all the school's social studies classes. Throughout her...

Skylar Moore at graduation rehearsal with fellow students.
Senior Spotlight: Skylar Moore
Rowan Bissett, Assistant Sports Editor • June 4, 2024

June 8, 2024, Athens seniors will walk the stage, take their diplomas, and finally finish high school. One of those Seniors is Skylar Moore,...

ADHS Varsity Baseball To Host Second Annual “Strike Out ALS” Game April 17

The Athens Drive baseball team will host the second Annual “Strike Out ALS” game April 17 at 4:30 p.m.

The Athens Drive Jaguars Varsity Baseball Team will host the second annual “Strike Out ALS” charity event Friday, April 17 at 4:30 p.m. when the Jaguars will take on the Holly Springs Golden Hawks. The event has a goal to raise money for research of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS). ALS is also known as Lou Gehrig’s disease because of 1930s New York Yankees baseball player Lou Gehrig, who died from the disease.

The concept of the Strike Out ALS game was conceived last spring by Athens Drive student Josh Bracy and his family. Josh Bracy’s uncle Adam, 43, was diagnosed with ALS in 2012 and is fighting the disease today. Since ALS has no known cure, Bracy wanted to find a way to raise money to find a cure for ALS, and the Strike Out ALS idea was born.

Last year’s event raised nearly $9,000 for ALS research. The Jaguars defeated the Cary Imps April 11, 2014 by a score of 15-6, which was their first home victory of the season. This year, the goal of the game is to raise $10,000. The game will have similar vendors and events to last year’s Strike Out ALS game, as well as a raffle event.

The team will wear purple camouflage jerseys because purple represents ALS and camouflage represents the battle and fight that ALS patients have to go through when they have the disease.

Sophomore pitcher Sam Enders (1-0, 3.86 ERA) will take the mound for the Jaguars.

The JV baseball game that was originally also scheduled for April 17 at Holly Springs has been cancelled to allow the JV baseball players to attend the Strike Out ALS event and support the cause.

“This is a special game that is bigger than baseball. The players and community come together for a cause and try to bring attention and research to this deadly disease. It was a great event last year and we hope to make it bigger this year with a few surprises along the way,” said Athens Drive Varsity Baseball Coach Ryan Westbrook.

Since the first Strike Out ALS game, ALS discussion has increased in popularity after the “ALS Ice Bucket Challenge” spread frequently from person to person last August. The concept was to either dump ice water on your head within 24 hours of being nominated by someone else or donate $100 to ALS charities. It eventually spread all over the world through social media and helped ALS charities raise millions of dollars. After the game, visitors will be allow to participate in ice bucket challenges.

The main purpose for raising the money for the Strike Out ALS game is to research possible cures and treatments for ALS. The fundraiser is gladly accepting donations. Donations to the cause should be mailed to ALS TDI, 300 Technology Square, Suite 400, Cambridge, MA 02139.