Drones increase in numbers across the US

Drones, unmanned aircrafts usually equipped with a camera or other device, are used commercially, for military purposes and by civilians. In the past few years drones have become more prevalent in the U.S. which has its benefits and risks.

A drone was found on the White House grounds Jan. 26, which caused concern, especially in light of other recent security breaches. Luckily, the drone in question could be bought at a RadioShack and posed no real threat.

“Drones should only be used according to the constitution,” said Sen. Rand Paul in an interview with CNN, “they better beware, because I’ve got a shotgun.”

In addition to drones being used for military purposes, people have also used them smuggle drugs, and Amazon proposed utilizing drones for shipping packages across the country.

Concerns regarding the air traffic and the invasion of privacy have put that project on hold.

For security measures, the National Football League has implemented a 30-mile “No Drone Zone” during the Superbowl. Conversely, high school and college football teams are using this technology to their advantage through monitoring football practices.

“I don’t particularly like the idea of seeing a bunch of drones flying around all of the time,” said Rebecca Schmidt, junior, “I feel like it’s an invasion of my privacy.”

Drones for civilian use can cost as much as $31,000. They can be utilized for surveying land, checking wind turbines, agriculture and numerous other uses that make work easier, safer and more cost effective. For example, citizens in Summerville, MA. have been using drones to spot roof problems in wake of the recent barrage of snowstorms in the northeast.

Like with any new technology, such as google glass, which has now been banned in book stores, many will call for regulation if they are to become a more prominent part of society.