Mrs. Hornick is the adviser for The Athens Oracle, a position she has been lucky to hold for over 15 years! She loves watching her students grow as writers and some of her favorite parts of the class are...

Jasmine A Glenn
Jasmine A Glenn
Copy Editor

Jasmine A. Glenn is a Junior at Athens Drive Magnet High School. Glenn loves animals and would do anything for an animal in need. A few of her favorite things are sunsets, her car, music, sports cars,...

Zane Perryman

Zane is a senior in Newspaper 3 and is an assistant editor. He likes music and taking pictures and writing stories about things he enjoys.

Peyton Manning breaks NFL touchdown passes thrown record

The five-time National Football League (NFL) Most Valuable Player (MVP) has broken the record for most touchdowns thrown. Peyton Manning threw his 509 career touchdown pass Oct. 19 in a home game at Sports Authority Field at Mile High Stadium against the San Francisco 49ers.

Manning is 38 years old and has been playing in the NFL for 17 seasons. Manning has been on two teams in his tenure. He played for the Indianapolis Colts for 14 seasons, starting in 1998. His final season with the Colts was in 2011 but he did not play a single game that season due to a neck surgery he needed to receive. While playing as a Colt, Manning threw for 54,828 yards and 399 touchdowns.

From 2012 to present day, he has been known as the quarterback for the Denver Broncos. With only two and a half seasons under his belt in Denver, Manning has broken records. While playing as a Bronco, Manning has achieved 12,270 passing yards and 114 touchdowns. Manning has played in 39 games for the Broncos versus the 208 games he played for the Colts. To put that in perspective, if Manning played as many games for the Broncos as he did for the Colts, and stayed consistent, Manning would have the ability to throw for 608 touchdowns.

“Peyton Manning is a machine. I think he clicks well with his receivers better than he did as a Colt. Now I know Manning has been playing since 1998, but his best receiver that I saw him play with in Indianapolis was definitely Harrison and Reggie Wayne but that is pretty much it. Now look at the talent he has in Denver: Julius Thomas, Demaryius Thomas, Emmanuel Sanders, Wes Welker and more. And not to say last year he had Eric Decker. When a great quarterback has a great receiving core, there isn’t anything a defense can do about it. I love watching Manning, and it helps that I have him on my fantasy team,” said Senior Travis Hinshaw.

Hinshaw’s comments brought attention to whether Manning or his receivers should be credited with the touchdowns he has thrown. The wide out who caught the most touchdowns from Manning in Indianapolis was Marvin Harrison, hauling in a total of 112 of Manning’s record 509 touchdown passes. That total is over one fifth of all the touchdowns thrown by Manning. Harrison was an eight-time pro bowler and played with the Colts from 1996-2008.

A combo in Denver is the Thomas’. Julius Thomas and Demaryius Thomas are an aerial threat to defenses in the NFL. Since Manning has arrived in Denver, Demaryius Thomas has caught 30 touchdowns. In the two seasons he played with the Broncos before Manning’s arrival, he only had six touchdowns in two seasons without Manning. Julius Thomas, converted basketball play to tight end, has played for the Broncos since 2010 but only had one catch in his first two seasons due to nagging injuries throughout the season. These injuries only allowed Julius Thomas to compete in five games through 2010-2011. Now with Manning, Julius Thomas has linked up to catch 21 touchdowns in 21 games.

Whether Manning has his players to thank or his players have him to thank, he will still be compared to his brother Eli Manning. Eli Manning is the quarterback of the New York Giants. He has won two Super Bowls whereas Peyton Manning has only won one. While Eli Manning might have more super bowl wins than his brother, Peyton has him beat in overall records broken.

Although he has only won one super bowl, Peyton Manning also has broken postseason records. During a playoff game versus the Denver Broncos in 2005, he threw for 360 yards in the first half. Along with the most touchdowns thrown in a career, he has thrown for the most yards in a single season in 2013. He threw for 5,477 yards, breaking Drew Brees’ record set in 2011 by one yard. Every game Manning has been active to play, he has started. The most touchdowns thrown in a season is 55 and that was set by Manning in 2013 as well. He is the only player to throw six touchdowns in three different games.

Manning’s accomplishments go on forever. The future hall of famer still has games left in him though. George Blanda played until he was 48 years old. Peyton Manning is 38.

“I believe Manning has the capability to play for maybe ten more years, but will he do it? Na I doubt it,” said Hinshaw.