Domestic violence: What it is and how to spot it
Elijah Hoskins, Social Media Editor • May 24, 2024

Every minute almost 20 people around the world are physically assaulted by their partner; in the US this equals more than 10 million people a...

Drake and Kendrick Lamar going back in forth to understand each others motive
Drake vs Kendrick Lamar
Corissa Greene, Copy Editor • May 22, 2024

There have been suppositions and rumors over the years about tensions between popular rappers Drake and Kendrick Lamar, but nothing has been...

Students walk around to view peers STEM projects. Students spent much of the event viewing projects as well as presenting their  own.
Athens STEM students display their semester-long work at Athens STEMposium
Rowan Bissett, Assistant Sports Editor • May 22, 2024

The work of the Athens Drive STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Math) students came to fruition this year at the Athens STEMposium on April...

The Athens Drive Flag Football team celebrates after their win against East Wake High School. This was the second game day, and it determined whether they would make it to the Sup-Her-Bowl
Women’s Flag Football’s future uncertain after new budget proposal
Ella Johnson, Copy Editor • May 21, 2024

This 2023-2024 school year, the Carolina Panthers announced they would be donating $50,000 to Wake County to kickstart Women’s flag football...

Members of the South Asian Student Association pose for a photo. This club is one of many school organizations that celebrate student diversity.
Athens Drive Culture Fest to return May 28
Sophie King, Assistant Editor • May 21, 2024

With a total minority enrollment of 59%, and students from many countries around the world, Athens Drive High School is the most diverse high...

Susan McGraw and Leya Arikat flaunt Athen’s gear as they give a detailed tour of the school. The pair steps up to aid in making certain the Magnet evaluators from Magnet Schools of America have a positive experience.
A new beginning: Boshoff's first year
Brady Jones, Assistant News Editor • May 17, 2024

Amanda Boshoff, Athens Drive’s newest principal, is ending off her first year on a high note. After a long year of getting to know the Athens...

Danazia McLean, also known as Nae, is a senior at Athens Drive High School and a member of the Idea Hunters of Athens Oracle. In her free time, she enjoys trying new foods, hanging out with her friend...

Nora Richards
Nora Richards

Nora Richards is a junior here at Athens Drive. This is her third year being a part of Athens Oracle. She enjoys swimming, making jewelry, and hanging out with friends.

Rose Luck
Rose Luck
Copy Editor

Rose Luck is a Junior at Athens Drive. She enjoys making jewelry and listening to music. This is Rose's second year, and third semester writing for the Athens Oracle. She finds journalism fun and as it...

First Friday Fun

The first Friday of every month until August, downtown Raleigh offers a fun-filled experience that includes exciting art, music and restaurants that are great for people of all ages and interests. First Friday is a free self-guided tour of downtown’s cultural hot spots, including art galleries and museums.

The event runs from 6 p.m.-9 p.m., but some venue hours may vary. First Friday flags will be displayed at participating venues. A detailed map/guide will also be provided at each venue for event navigation.

“I love the energy and all of the exciting things. It’s a great way to get interested in local bands and hear new music,” said Kieran Garvey, junior.

There are also 26 different galleries, studios and museums that offer a visual art center with artist studios, exhibitions and educational programs set up for people to enjoy. Galleries show a wide variety of exhibitions and artists.

“They also have amazing food. It’s a really nice way to try new food for really cheap because they have all of these dinner specials. My favorite place though is The Oxford,” said Garvey.

There is a wide variety of foods people can enjoy, ranging from Mexican to pizza to burgers. With over 30 restaurants that participate in First Friday, there are many places for people to try and to take advantage of specials.

With over 30 parking decks and lots, ample parking is readily available. Most decks are free after 7 p.m. There is also a free circulator service using eco-friendly buses along the R-LINE to get people from different venues. The buses run every 10-15 minutes. Rickshaws provide transportation as well within the five downtown districts and downtown Raleigh historic neighborhoods.

First Friday is produced by the Downtown Raleigh Alliance (DRA). DRA is an award-winning nonprofit organization whose mission is to continue the revitalization of Raleigh’s downtown by enhancing its quality of life and contributing to its economic success.

First Friday’s website (http://www.godowntownraleigh.com/first-friday-raleigh) has more details and can help people plan out their experience.

Two girls enjoy first friday
Two girls enjoy first friday