Courtesy of Ava Seay
Senior Spotlight: Ava Seay
Brady Jones, Assistant News Editor • June 4, 2024

As the school year fades to an end, many graduates are leaving the Athens Drive community to begin searching for their passions. While some...

Brady Jones has an on-stage-cameo as security guard in production called I Hate Shakespeare. Photo provided by Lauryn Webb
Senior spotlight: Brady Jones
Taylor Malloy, Editor in Chief • June 4, 2024

Athens Drive High School watches many of its students arrive as freshmen and leave as seniors. Some of these seniors stand out as being leaders,...

Jayvon Coleman at Athens Drive
Senior Spotlight: Jayvon Coleman
Sama Yousef, Staff Writer • June 4, 2024

Throughout high school, students achieve and extend themselves thoroughly; Senior Jayvon Coleman has pushed himself to perform excellence throughout...

Rachel Huffman, a cheerful senior at a companions home having a fun time with friends and her digital camera, at a get together.
Senior Spotlight: Rachel Huffman
Deevani Rodriguez, Features Copy Editor • June 4, 2024

Out of the graduating class of 2024, Senior Rachel Huffman has strived to do her best at leading and achieving greatness at Athens Drive Magnet...

The Drive Inquiry Clubs website is pictured. Dylan Ducatte dedicated a lot of her time while at Athens to the club.
Senior Spotlight: Dylan Ducatte
Sophie King, Assistant Editor • June 4, 2024

A true historian, senior Dylan Ducatte has spent her time at Athens fully engaged in all the school's social studies classes. Throughout her...

Skylar Moore at graduation rehearsal with fellow students.
Senior Spotlight: Skylar Moore
Rowan Bissett, Assistant Sports Editor • June 4, 2024

June 8, 2024, Athens seniors will walk the stage, take their diplomas, and finally finish high school. One of those Seniors is Skylar Moore,...

The text can wait

A woman was killed just moments after posting a Facebook message and hitting a truck head-on, Saturday, April 26. She posted a message about Pharrell’s song ‘Happy’ before drifting across a grass median and slamming into a truck. This is another example of how texting and driving makes someone 23 times more likely to crash.

“I think the whole thing is just sad. It’s sad to know how quick your life can end by sending a simple text,” said Emilia Migliaccio, freshman.

A recent study done by the National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) shows 77 percent of young adults said they feel confident that they can safely text and drive, while 86 percent of teenagers were aware of the dangers of texting while driving, but did it anyway.

“I think it’s very dangerous, and that teenagers are probably the worst offenders. Apparently it’s actually safer to drive drunk than to text and drive,” said Migliaccio.

According to the NTSB, texting while driving is six times more dangerous than driving drunk. Also, 10 percent of all drivers under the age of 20 involved in fatal crashes were reported as distracted at the time of the crash. This age group has the largest proportion of drivers who were distracted.

“I also think that more teens do it because they see their parents do it and they are influenced into thinking it’s okay for them to do it as well,” said Migliaccio.

According to an AT&T survey, about 49 percent of adults say they have sent a text while behind the wheel, compared with 43 percent of teens in a survey, meaning more adults text and drive than teenagers.

“More people text and drive and think it’s ok, and then they get into accidents. We have to make it seem like more of a problem. People don’t think it’s a big deal and don’t talk about it. I think that has to change to keep people safe,” said Migliaccio.

AT&T started sponsoring “stop texting while driving” campaigns and advertisements. They even launched a website where people can pledge not to text while driving, called itcanwait.com. On the website, people can pledge to never text to drive and take action to educate other about the dangers of texting and driving.

texting