SATIRE: Sickening icks plague teen romance

Student+overwhelmed+from+icks+that+torment+teen+relationships+
Photos by Robin Higgins
Student overwhelmed from icks that torment teen relationships

With dating apps and short-term relationships increasing in popularity, many women have taken notice of a lack of effort being put into their new relationships. Allegedly, men of “Generation Z” have been making major mistakes on dates that understandably lead to breakups. This sensation is known as an “ick”, and high-school relationships have really taken a hit. The lack of courteous gentlemen has been upsetting the students of Athens Drive, and some brave women have stepped forward to share their horror stories. 

“Yesterday, he sent me a second question before I could even respond to the first one,” said sophomore Amber Herd. This phenomenon, known as double texting, has been plaguing the dating scene. “It was like he was trying too hard, it was really overwhelming. At that moment, I really felt attacked,” said Herd. 

This is not an uncommon occurrence. According to Herd, her last five relationships ended due to the ick.

“My very first ick was with my boyfriend of two years. He had taken me out for a picnic on the beach for our anniversary when a bee flew out from behind his head- and he flinched. Can you believe that! I had to end it right then and there,” said Herd.

Thankfully, some men have been accepting their faults, admitting they are in the wrong. One Athens Drive senior, Chad Simp, made a public statement regarding his recent breakup. The apology came after his girlfriend posted six full Instagram story posts about Simp tripping on a sidewalk gap.

“I should have seen it coming. The break-up and the crack in the sidewalk,” said Simp.  

Simp’s statement went on to explain that there were a series of icks leading up to the breakup. His mistakes include his shoelace coming undone, dropping his phone, and breathing too heavily.   

“It was wrong of me to not recognize that my breathing was far too much to handle. Granted, I was a little sick that day, but that’s no excuse for losing focus on how much I was exhaling,” said Simp. 

Taking the initiative to apologize for his horrid acts may be a step in the right direction, but Simp has received further backlash from his statement. Hundreds have rushed to social media to express the ick they suffered from Simp’s announcement, including Joni Deep, junior.

“I can’t even describe the disgust I felt from his apology, I feel like he needs to man up. Right now, Chad is essentially… undateable,” said Deep.