Athens Drive hosts Dig Pink game to raise funds for cancer

Amira Barnes, Senior gets ready to play defense against the opposing team. (Photos courtesy of Melissa Castaneda Garcia)

Athens Drive High School had a Dig Pink volleyball game on October 4th, 2023 to fundraise those with metastatic breast cancer in the Athens Drive gymnasium by selling bracelets and raffle tickets to fans. In volleyball, the term “side out” means to regain control of the ball. Similar to how the Side-Out Foundation is attempting to get control of metastatic breast cancer. Metastatic breast cancer is a cancer that can spread to other organs in the body. Dig Pink is a volleyball event that funds metastatic breast cancer research and treatments with the help of volleyball and the Side-Out Foundation.
“Dig Pink is an annual fundraiser that a lot of volleyball programs do at the high school and collegiate level during the month of October for breast cancer awareness month,” said Conner Bayer, coach.
The Side-Out Foundation is a non-profit organization that does its own research and educates communities about metastatic breast cancer. It was established in 2004, and over 9,000 Dig Pink events have been hosted. It has become a school tradition for the Athens Drive Jaguars. There was a table selling bracelets and raffle tickets to help raise funds for the cause. The gym was decorated with signs and a banner reading, ‘Dig Pink.’
“I’m excited for that game, and I’m really glad that we started that tradition a couple of years ago because I think it’s a good way to raise money for the cause. In particular, I’m playing for my grandma because she’s a breast cancer survivor,” said Gwen Peterson, junior.
One in eight women in the United States develop breast cancer. The Side-Out Foundation analyzes treatments, brings people together, and supports those with breast cancer. Dig Pink supports breast cancer awareness by using unity and teamwork to achieve its goals.
“My grandma just recently, she just got rid of her breast cancer… I am playing for her this upcoming Dig Pink game. I really believe in charity for breast cancer,” said Amira Barnes, senior.
Barnes is excited to play for her grandma in this year’s Dig Pink game. This year is the third year Athens Drive has done Dig Pink.
“I think we have a strong team this year. We’ve definitely had a lot of injuries and a lot to work through together, but I think everyone is really coming together as a team to work through it,” said Gwen Peterson.
Even though the team faces adversities, they use teamwork to push through.
“Most of the time, if there’s something I could strategically do the next play, I’ll think about trying to do that, but if it’s just like a mistake that’s accidental, I’ll just try to forget about it. Same thing with my teammates, if they make a mistake, kind of just telling them to brush it off,” said Peterson.
When mistakes occur during games, Peterson tries to move on from them. Peterson is an outside hitter so she identifies the weak spots on the other side of the net.
“I just try to focus on what I felt like I did wrong and how can I improve on it next time,” said Larkyn Rawls, Junior.
Rawles is a setter, she has been on the Athens Drive varsity volleyball team since her sophomore year. Rawls reflects on her mistakes and tries to learn from those past experiences.
“I love the breast cancer awareness game; it’s so fun. Everyone gets to dress up in pink, and we get to decorate the whole gym,” said Rawls.