Domestic violence: What it is and how to spot it
Elijah Hoskins, Social Media Editor • May 24, 2024

Every minute almost 20 people around the world are physically assaulted by their partner; in the US this equals more than 10 million people a...

Drake and Kendrick Lamar going back in forth to understand each others motive
Drake vs Kendrick Lamar
Corissa Greene, Copy Editor • May 22, 2024

There have been suppositions and rumors over the years about tensions between popular rappers Drake and Kendrick Lamar, but nothing has been...

Students walk around to view peers STEM projects. Students spent much of the event viewing projects as well as presenting their  own.
Athens STEM students display their semester-long work at Athens STEMposium
Rowan Bissett, Assistant Sports Editor • May 22, 2024

The work of the Athens Drive STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Math) students came to fruition this year at the Athens STEMposium on April...

The Athens Drive Flag Football team celebrates after their win against East Wake High School. This was the second game day, and it determined whether they would make it to the Sup-Her-Bowl
Women’s Flag Football’s future uncertain after new budget proposal
Ella Johnson, Copy Editor • May 21, 2024

This 2023-2024 school year, the Carolina Panthers announced they would be donating $50,000 to Wake County to kickstart Women’s flag football...

Members of the South Asian Student Association pose for a photo. This club is one of many school organizations that celebrate student diversity.
Athens Drive Culture Fest to return May 28
Sophie King, Assistant Editor • May 21, 2024

With a total minority enrollment of 59%, and students from many countries around the world, Athens Drive High School is the most diverse high...

Susan McGraw and Leya Arikat flaunt Athen’s gear as they give a detailed tour of the school. The pair steps up to aid in making certain the Magnet evaluators from Magnet Schools of America have a positive experience.
A new beginning: Boshoff's first year
Brady Jones, Assistant News Editor • May 17, 2024

Amanda Boshoff, Athens Drive’s newest principal, is ending off her first year on a high note. After a long year of getting to know the Athens...

Hannah Suehle
Hannah Suehle
Co-Editor in Chief

Hannah Suehle is a senior at Athens Drive and co-editor-in-chief. This is their fifth semester writing for the Athens Oracle. Outside of school, they like to play games, read, crochet, and do Scottish...

Zane Perryman

Zane is a senior in Newspaper 3 and is an assistant editor. He likes music and taking pictures and writing stories about things he enjoys.

Ethan Adams
Ethan Adams

Ethan Adams is a Junior at Athens Drive. He is a Assistant News Editor for the Athens Oracle. He has been with the Oracle for 3 years. He enjoys getting to interact with others as well as writing. Ethan...

COVID-19 allowing for longer preseason for WCPSS student athletes

Sean Herbst, senior, stands over a corner kick during crossing drills in the soccer team’s preseason training.

For athletes, a common theme throughout 2020 has been COVID-19 taking opportunities and experiences away. Athletes could not watch professional seasons for months, their high school seasons were postponed and recruitments have been wildly disrupted. Finally a benefit has arisen for participants of Wake County athletics due to season delays: extended preseasons.

In past years, student athletes would have about a month or a month and a half prior to the season in order to shake off rust and condition before the season starts. This year, most sports are recieving nearly three months to prepare based on the Wake County return to sports schedule. This plan allows for a gradual increase in training month by month before the start of a team’s season. The schedule allows up to two practices the first month, four the second month and five the third. This is integral to the safe return to sports because many athletes have had to wait longer than usual to return to action. A gradually increasing practice schedule is vital to ensuring the minimization of preventable injuries and increasing performance by the time the season comes around.

A prime example as to why this is important is this season’s NFL injury crisis. The league began without a preseason in hopes of reducing the chance of spreading COVID-19. As a result, the league has suffered a severe spike in injuries, especially season-ending ones. Normally, preseason games are used to help players warm up to the season as games that are competitive but not as competitive as the intense regular season games. Without this middle ground, players have had to adjust from team practices directly to the regular season and it has cost an unprecedented amount of players their seasons. Had Wake County not allowed an extended preseason for student athletes, the same could have been true for high school athletics.

Apart from the physical benefits of an extended preseason, it also improves the moral of students after spending so many months away from sports or behind a screen. Virtual learning can be draining on a day to day basis so this allocation of time allows student athletes to spend more time doing what they enjoy. In a team aspect, this extension gives time to the athletes to spend with their teammates and create team bonds. Chemistry in team sports is a very good indicator of how well a team can perform, meaning more time with teammates can lead to more wins.

Furthermore, COVID-19 has caused many sports’ seasons to be shortened and removed out of conference competition, so this extra time with teammates and friends is a bit of compensation, especially for seniors, for time and experiences they will be missing out on in the future.

“The longer preseason is good because it gives us time to build up a lot of chemistry and have the team get together. It also makes the play more competitive since everyone is constantly putting in work and are going to be more eager to play in a real game which is good,” said Joshua Burkhardt, senior soccer player.

As preseasons start to come into effect, it allows student athletes to regain some type of normalcy back into their high school experience. Many of these students can attest to their sport being some of their fondest high school memories. The elongated time and quick return of their sports allow them to make the most of their virtual year.

The longer preseasons allow for a quick return to sports and a safe amount of time for athletes’ bodies to readapt to the vigorous activity of a high school sport season. The gradual increase of activity over two to three months is beneficial to all student athletes in order to take care of their bodies and minds.

“It is essential to the physical, emotional and mental well being of students to return to physical activity in as safe a manner as possible, which is the basis of our plan,” said Deran Coe, Wake’s County director of athletics to the WCPSS school board.

WCPSS preseason sports photo gallery