Courtesy of Ava Seay
Senior Spotlight: Ava Seay
Brady Jones, Assistant News Editor • June 4, 2024

As the school year fades to an end, many graduates are leaving the Athens Drive community to begin searching for their passions. While some...

Brady Jones has an on-stage-cameo as security guard in production called I Hate Shakespeare. Photo provided by Lauryn Webb
Senior spotlight: Brady Jones
Taylor Malloy, Editor in Chief • June 4, 2024

Athens Drive High School watches many of its students arrive as freshmen and leave as seniors. Some of these seniors stand out as being leaders,...

Jayvon Coleman at Athens Drive
Senior Spotlight: Jayvon Coleman
Sama Yousef, Staff Writer • June 4, 2024

Throughout high school, students achieve and extend themselves thoroughly; Senior Jayvon Coleman has pushed himself to perform excellence throughout...

Rachel Huffman, a cheerful senior at a companions home having a fun time with friends and her digital camera, at a get together.
Senior Spotlight: Rachel Huffman
Deevani Rodriguez, Features Copy Editor • June 4, 2024

Out of the graduating class of 2024, Senior Rachel Huffman has strived to do her best at leading and achieving greatness at Athens Drive Magnet...

The Drive Inquiry Clubs website is pictured. Dylan Ducatte dedicated a lot of her time while at Athens to the club.
Senior Spotlight: Dylan Ducatte
Sophie King, Assistant Editor • June 4, 2024

A true historian, senior Dylan Ducatte has spent her time at Athens fully engaged in all the school's social studies classes. Throughout her...

Skylar Moore at graduation rehearsal with fellow students.
Senior Spotlight: Skylar Moore
Rowan Bissett, Assistant Sports Editor • June 4, 2024

June 8, 2024, Athens seniors will walk the stage, take their diplomas, and finally finish high school. One of those Seniors is Skylar Moore,...

Argentinian soccer player dies as private plane crashes into the English Channel

Emiliano Sala, an Argentinian soccer player who recently transferred to the Welsh club Cardiff City F.C., was reported missing on Jan. 21. Sala was aboard a small private plane that disappeared over the English Channel.
After a relatively late rise to fame in his career, the 28 year-old impressed for F.C. Nantes in France’s top-flight soccer league. Through 19 games, Sala scored 12 goals and assisted 2 more which earned him a 17 million dollar transfer to Cardiff City. After the two clubs agreed terms, Cardiff sent a plane to pick up their new signing ahead of his first training session with the team.
Prior to taking off, Sala sent his family group chat an alarming voice message expressing his mixed emotions of excitement and fear.
“I am up here in the plane that seems like it is breaking apart. I am on my way to Cardiff because tomorrow we start, we begin training in my new team. We’ll see what happens… If you don’t hear news from me in an hour and a half, I don’t know if they are going to send someone to search for me because they will not find me, but now you know… Dude, I’m really scared,” said Sala.
Two days into the investigation, police suspended the search due to a lack of progress. No traces of the plane or passengers were to be found. When news of this surfaced, Sala’s sister posted an emotional video in which she pleaded with authorities to not end the search for her brother. Other players from around the world began donating tens of thousands of dollars to help fund a private search.
After the plane’s disappearance, Cardiff City won a game against A.F.C. Bournemouth in which their first goal celebration was holding up a shirt with Sala’s face in his honor. Banners were spread across the stadium which read, “We never saw you play and never saw you score, Emiliano our beautiful bluebird we will love you forever more”. His former club, Nantes, paused their game in the ninth minute, the same jersey number Sala wore, for a minute of applause.
Nearly two weeks passed before the wreckage was found. On Feb. 3, underwater photographs taken by a remotely operated vehicle, located the plane on a seabed off the shore of Guernsey, an island in the English Channel. Within that wreckage the UK’s Air Accidents Investigation Branch notified the public that a body was visible. Both Sala and the pilot are presumed dead.
On Feb. 6, the Air Accidents Investigation Branch of the U.K announced that Sala’s body was recovered from the plane, and he was confirmed dead. The pilot is yet to be found.
“It’s a really sad situation. He was a promising player that could of done really well at his new club. It’s unfortunate because if he had just taken a commercial flight this could have easily been avoided,” said Matthew Slade, junior.