Domestic violence: What it is and how to spot it
Elijah Hoskins, Social Media Editor • May 24, 2024

Every minute almost 20 people around the world are physically assaulted by their partner; in the US this equals more than 10 million people a...

Drake and Kendrick Lamar going back in forth to understand each others motive
Drake vs Kendrick Lamar
Corissa Greene, Copy Editor • May 22, 2024

There have been suppositions and rumors over the years about tensions between popular rappers Drake and Kendrick Lamar, but nothing has been...

Students walk around to view peers STEM projects. Students spent much of the event viewing projects as well as presenting their  own.
Athens STEM students display their semester-long work at Athens STEMposium
Rowan Bissett, Assistant Sports Editor • May 22, 2024

The work of the Athens Drive STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Math) students came to fruition this year at the Athens STEMposium on April...

The Athens Drive Flag Football team celebrates after their win against East Wake High School. This was the second game day, and it determined whether they would make it to the Sup-Her-Bowl
Women’s Flag Football’s future uncertain after new budget proposal
Ella Johnson, Copy Editor • May 21, 2024

This 2023-2024 school year, the Carolina Panthers announced they would be donating $50,000 to Wake County to kickstart Women’s flag football...

Members of the South Asian Student Association pose for a photo. This club is one of many school organizations that celebrate student diversity.
Athens Drive Culture Fest to return May 28
Sophie King, Assistant Editor • May 21, 2024

With a total minority enrollment of 59%, and students from many countries around the world, Athens Drive High School is the most diverse high...

Susan McGraw and Leya Arikat flaunt Athen’s gear as they give a detailed tour of the school. The pair steps up to aid in making certain the Magnet evaluators from Magnet Schools of America have a positive experience.
A new beginning: Boshoff's first year
Brady Jones, Assistant News Editor • May 17, 2024

Amanda Boshoff, Athens Drive’s newest principal, is ending off her first year on a high note. After a long year of getting to know the Athens...

Elijah Hoskins
Elijah Hoskins
Social Media Editor

Elijah Hoskins is a Sophomore at Athens Drive. This is his second semester writing for the Athens Oracle. Outside of school, he likes to play his clarinet, attend marching band events, hang with friends,...

Lisi Abete is a Freshmen at Athens Drive. This is her first semester in the Oracle and she works on staff relations. Abete loves cats and going on bike rides.

Rowan Bissett
Rowan Bissett
Assistant Sports Editor

Rowan is a Sophomore at Athens, and when she is not writing for the Oracle, she's playing volleyball, volunteering, or being apart of Athens clubs. She's excited to be in her second semester of the Oracle...

Super bowl ‘Monday’ should be considered

Super Bowl Sunday is a day that friends and family meet up and spend time together.   It sounds like a holiday if someone was to ask me.  Holidays like Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years, have the same basic principle: friends and family coming together all for the same purpose.  Super Bowl Sunday should be considered a National Holiday and individuals should have the following Monday off from work and school.

For those that do not know, the Super Bowl is a game in which the champions of the National Football Conference (NFC) and the American Football Conference (AFC) battle it out for the Super Bowl title.  Many say that the Super Bowl is one of the greatest sporting events that happens in this day and age.  It ranks right up there with the FIFA World Cup and the Olympics.

Every Super Bowl, millions of people tune in and watch the biggest sporting event in the world.  Those people stay up late to watch the game. That Monday can be rather difficult to be productive because someone is either tired due to the lack of sleep the night before or from the night’s activities.  Going to either work or school after not having a full night of rest makes it difficult to get work done.

The Super Bowl brings in so much money due to ticket prices that are on average more than 1,000 dollars, food and drinks for Super Bowl parties can end up costing a lot of money. The average everyday person spends a lot of money, however the nation as a whole and major businesses make a ton of money.

The question is, how is a holiday defined?   The similarities between Super Bowl Sunday and other holidays are undeniable, and that must be taken into consideration.   

Since the government is the one that decides what is considered a holiday, Super Bowl Monday will more than likely not become a holiday, because what do they ever get done.

An estimated number of people that is almost 200 million watch the Super Bowl each year, and this is a very large number of people that could bring in a ton of money.  An estimated 15 billion dollars are spent by consumers.  The 2015 Super Bowl host was Phoenix Arizona and the city spent nearly 30 million dollars, while San Francisco who hosted this past Super Bowl is expected roughly 50 million dollars.  This amount of money that is being thrown around for the Super Bowl is a great amount and creates great revenue for the NFL and also the rest of the United States government.

Someone should push for a holiday for the Super Bowl, if this is done, education and work progress will get better.  Many people would benefit from having the day off on Monday after the Super Bowl.