Canterbury Tales Arrives at Athens Drive

As the leaves begins to fall and the season changes, Athens Drive High School theatre department prepares to put on its first play of the year, “The Canterbury Tales,” Nov. 19 through 21. The play follows the journey of a group of pilgrims headed to Canterbury, and to pass the time they create a competition involving storytelling where the best story told wins.

To some seniors, the name might ring a bell. The Canterbury Tales that Athens plans to put on is the same collection of stories written by Geoffrey Chaucer that many English IV teachers are having their students read this semester.

The play will be directed by Ashlynn Hayes, the school’s newest drama teacher. Even though this is her first year teaching, students and actors already have good things to say about Hayes.

“I’m excited about working with Ms. Hayes, because she’s an amazing director,” said Olivia Romney, junior and one of the eight actors in the play.

The small cast is just one of the few things that makes this play unique and different from past plays Athens has put on.

“The set is very minimalistic, and we play much more with the actors– it really centers around them,” said Hayes.

By minimalistic Hayes means that actors will not have many props to use and each backdrop won’t have as many intricate details. “It’s kind of a bare-bone show, there’ll be a basic backdrop so the show will rely on strong acting.” said Benjamin Diaz, sophomore.

The Canterbury Tales is a play with many parts and, with such a small group, it actors and actresses have to take on different roles and learn several different pages of lines for each. While this may appear to be daunting to some, the actors and actresses of Athens Drive have a different view.

The play casts a few familiar faces, Xavier Milton and Josh McCormick are just two of the eight cast members, as many members from previous Athens Drive plays, such as Legally Blonde, Hard Candy, and A Flea in Her Ear, will be featured.

Romney, who has been acting for two years, has approximately four different parts in the play. “I like that you have to see things from other people’s perspectives.” She has had previous parts in a few of last years plays and, as a junior, can be expected to star in future plays throughout the rest of the year and the next.

“My favorite thing about theatre is being able to have no one judge you and be able to just have fun; and learning, of course.” said Diaz when asked what he enjoyed most about acting. He has only been in one play, Legally Blonde, and in it had a very minor role, much different from his roles in Canterbury. “I’m learning a lot and it’s only been a month or two.”

Tickets will start selling a week before the play begins, and will also be sold the night of each play, starting at four dollars. A concession stand will be selling snacks before the play and during intermission.