Courtesy of Ava Seay
Senior Spotlight: Ava Seay
Brady Jones, Assistant News Editor • June 4, 2024

As the school year fades to an end, many graduates are leaving the Athens Drive community to begin searching for their passions. While some...

Brady Jones has an on-stage-cameo as security guard in production called I Hate Shakespeare. Photo provided by Lauryn Webb
Senior spotlight: Brady Jones
Taylor Malloy, Editor in Chief • June 4, 2024

Athens Drive High School watches many of its students arrive as freshmen and leave as seniors. Some of these seniors stand out as being leaders,...

Jayvon Coleman at Athens Drive
Senior Spotlight: Jayvon Coleman
Sama Yousef, Staff Writer • June 4, 2024

Throughout high school, students achieve and extend themselves thoroughly; Senior Jayvon Coleman has pushed himself to perform excellence throughout...

Rachel Huffman, a cheerful senior at a companions home having a fun time with friends and her digital camera, at a get together.
Senior Spotlight: Rachel Huffman
Deevani Rodriguez, Features Copy Editor • June 4, 2024

Out of the graduating class of 2024, Senior Rachel Huffman has strived to do her best at leading and achieving greatness at Athens Drive Magnet...

The Drive Inquiry Clubs website is pictured. Dylan Ducatte dedicated a lot of her time while at Athens to the club.
Senior Spotlight: Dylan Ducatte
Sophie King, Assistant Editor • June 4, 2024

A true historian, senior Dylan Ducatte has spent her time at Athens fully engaged in all the school's social studies classes. Throughout her...

Skylar Moore at graduation rehearsal with fellow students.
Senior Spotlight: Skylar Moore
Rowan Bissett, Assistant Sports Editor • June 4, 2024

June 8, 2024, Athens seniors will walk the stage, take their diplomas, and finally finish high school. One of those Seniors is Skylar Moore,...

Peyton Smith Faceoff Master

Peyton Clay Smith Faceoff Master

By David Parker

Athens Drive junior lacrosse player, Peyton Smith, has officially committed to Marist College in Poughkeepsie, New York.  All three of his years in high school, Smith has been on varsity.  Coming into the 2015 season, the Jaguars expect a lot out of the top ranked faceoff specialist recruit for the class of 2016.

Smith, who is coming off a season in which he was awarded first team all conference honors as well as having the most ground balls on the team.

“Last season was great.  Having the honor of being on first-team all conference as a sophomore was pretty sweet,” said Smith.

Outside of Athens Drive, Smith plays for the Tar Heel Lacrosse Club.  He travels up and down the East Coast playing with the best of the best.

“Playing for Tar Heel has helped me out a lot getting my name out to colleges and it is one of the biggest reasons why I’m in the place I am,” said Smith.

In the spring of 2016, Smith will be attending Marist College to play for the lacrosse team.  The Red Foxes targeted Smith because his great work ethic and amazing skill in the faceoff circle.

When asked why he chose Marist College, Smith said, “Marist brings a lot of great factors to the table. Their education is very good, [as well as] the brotherhood with the guys on the team.  When I went to visit the school I fell in love with it.”

The Athens Drive lacrosse team has high expectations for this season after last seasons playoff birth.  The team has a lot experience along with skill.  Head coach of the Athens varsity team, Jeff Salvado, hopes to lead the team deep into the playoffs.

“We have enough skill to win the conference and after that we will work on becoming state champions,” said Smith.

The jaguars are at a huge advantage over their opponents because Smith winning the faceoff and helping the team put up points.

“The more faceoffs I win leads to more scoring chances and that will help us win games,” said Smith.

Winning games will start out with Smith dominating the faceoff circle.