Courtesy of Ava Seay
Senior Spotlight: Ava Seay
Brady Jones, Assistant News Editor • June 4, 2024

As the school year fades to an end, many graduates are leaving the Athens Drive community to begin searching for their passions. While some...

Brady Jones has an on-stage-cameo as security guard in production called I Hate Shakespeare. Photo provided by Lauryn Webb
Senior spotlight: Brady Jones
Taylor Malloy, Editor in Chief • June 4, 2024

Athens Drive High School watches many of its students arrive as freshmen and leave as seniors. Some of these seniors stand out as being leaders,...

Jayvon Coleman at Athens Drive
Senior Spotlight: Jayvon Coleman
Sama Yousef, Staff Writer • June 4, 2024

Throughout high school, students achieve and extend themselves thoroughly; Senior Jayvon Coleman has pushed himself to perform excellence throughout...

Rachel Huffman, a cheerful senior at a companions home having a fun time with friends and her digital camera, at a get together.
Senior Spotlight: Rachel Huffman
Deevani Rodriguez, Features Copy Editor • June 4, 2024

Out of the graduating class of 2024, Senior Rachel Huffman has strived to do her best at leading and achieving greatness at Athens Drive Magnet...

The Drive Inquiry Clubs website is pictured. Dylan Ducatte dedicated a lot of her time while at Athens to the club.
Senior Spotlight: Dylan Ducatte
Sophie King, Assistant Editor • June 4, 2024

A true historian, senior Dylan Ducatte has spent her time at Athens fully engaged in all the school's social studies classes. Throughout her...

Skylar Moore at graduation rehearsal with fellow students.
Senior Spotlight: Skylar Moore
Rowan Bissett, Assistant Sports Editor • June 4, 2024

June 8, 2024, Athens seniors will walk the stage, take their diplomas, and finally finish high school. One of those Seniors is Skylar Moore,...

American players shock crowds at the U.S. Open

One of the world’s four most prestigious tennis grand slams, the U.S. Open, started Monday August 26, 2013 in New York City, with much promise in the American field.

The hard-court tournament hosts the world’s top names in men and women’s tennis during a two-week long battle between top stars for a grand slam title including 2.6 million dollars in prize money.

Up-and-coming American players Victoria Duval, Jack Sock, Alison Riske and Sloane Stephens have already proven themselves competitors by advancing to the second round.

Seventeen-year-old Duval made a comeback to upset tennis veteran Sam Stosur in three sets during her first round match Tuesday night. Duval, ranked 296 on the Women’s Tennis Association (WTA) tour, holds zero titles there or on the International Tennis Federation (ITF) tour. She lost in her only previous U.S. Open appearance last year, which she made with a wild card, to Kim Clijsters during the first round.

U.S. Open mixed doubles champion, Sock, also won his first round match to Philipp Petzschner after a retirement and being up 5-2 in the third set. Sock is a 20-year-old Nebraskan native who won the 2011 U.S. Open Mixed doubles title with partner Melanie Oudin. Since, he has made it to the third round of the US Open main draw (2012), earned a world ranking of 84, one Association of Tennis Professionals (ATP) title and nearly $500,000 in prize money.

“It certainly brings much hope to the future of American tennis,” said Sidd Gandhi, when asked about Sock’s recent success.

Alison Riske, currently at her highest WTA ranking of 81, made herself noticed at this year’s open after defeating the tournament’s seventh seed, Petra Kvitova, advancing to the fourth round. Riske then lost in a close three set match to Daniela Hantuchova on the biggest stage in tennis, Arthur Ashe stadium. Twenty-three year old Riske holds 6 ITF titles, but no WTA titles. The only place she has made equal progress was at Wimbledon, earlier this year.

“I think Riske did a good job and made an impressive showing, but needs to work on her serve, consistency and mental game,” said Jack Lawson, Athens varsity player.

Highest projected American, Stephens, shocked Australian crowds earlier this year when she advanced to the semi-final of their grand slam, almost conquering her first slam title. There, she upset many top names including American tennis superstar Serena Williams. Stephens is currently at her highest world rank of 15 and 20 years old. She was born in Plantation, Florida to two eminent athlete parents and now splits her time living in Los Angeles, California, where she trains. Stephens is currently on track to rematch Williams in the fourth round of this year’s U.S. Open.

Aside from the striving, younger Americans, older James Blake plans to retire, making the U.S. Open his last tournament. Blake is 33 years old. He has been one of the more consistent players on tour while still making a tremendous name for himself in the game.

The U.S. Open has already brought days of excitement and is expected to bring more as the weeks progress. Defending champions, Andy Murray for the men and Williams for the woman, will face much challenge as the weeks progress with lots of young American talent not willing to lose without a fight.