Courtesy of Ava Seay
Senior Spotlight: Ava Seay
Brady Jones, Assistant News Editor • June 4, 2024

As the school year fades to an end, many graduates are leaving the Athens Drive community to begin searching for their passions. While some...

Brady Jones has an on-stage-cameo as security guard in production called I Hate Shakespeare. Photo provided by Lauryn Webb
Senior spotlight: Brady Jones
Taylor Malloy, Editor in Chief • June 4, 2024

Athens Drive High School watches many of its students arrive as freshmen and leave as seniors. Some of these seniors stand out as being leaders,...

Jayvon Coleman at Athens Drive
Senior Spotlight: Jayvon Coleman
Sama Yousef, Staff Writer • June 4, 2024

Throughout high school, students achieve and extend themselves thoroughly; Senior Jayvon Coleman has pushed himself to perform excellence throughout...

Rachel Huffman, a cheerful senior at a companions home having a fun time with friends and her digital camera, at a get together.
Senior Spotlight: Rachel Huffman
Deevani Rodriguez, Features Copy Editor • June 4, 2024

Out of the graduating class of 2024, Senior Rachel Huffman has strived to do her best at leading and achieving greatness at Athens Drive Magnet...

The Drive Inquiry Clubs website is pictured. Dylan Ducatte dedicated a lot of her time while at Athens to the club.
Senior Spotlight: Dylan Ducatte
Sophie King, Assistant Editor • June 4, 2024

A true historian, senior Dylan Ducatte has spent her time at Athens fully engaged in all the school's social studies classes. Throughout her...

Skylar Moore at graduation rehearsal with fellow students.
Senior Spotlight: Skylar Moore
Rowan Bissett, Assistant Sports Editor • June 4, 2024

June 8, 2024, Athens seniors will walk the stage, take their diplomas, and finally finish high school. One of those Seniors is Skylar Moore,...

Sierra Moore
Sierra Moore

Sierra Moore is a junior at Athens Drive. This is Sierra's first year on the Oracle. She enjoys hanging out with her friends. In her free time she also enjoy drawing and listening to music.

Ethan Adams
Ethan Adams

Ethan Adams is a Junior at Athens Drive. He is a Assistant News Editor for the Athens Oracle. He has been with the Oracle for 3 years. He enjoys getting to interact with others as well as writing. Ethan...

Taylor Malloy
Taylor Malloy
Co- Editor in Chief

Taylor Malloy is a senior at Athens Drive High School. This year she is the Co-Editor in Chief of the Athens Oracle. She enjoys playing volleyball and exercising in her free time. Taylor is excited for...

Senior Spotlight: Rachel Huffman

Photos by Rachel Huffman

Out of the graduating class of 2024, Senior Rachel Huffman has strived to do her best at leading and achieving greatness at Athens Drive Magnet High School. Not only has she accomplished a lot in the classroom but outside of the classroom as well. 

Huffman has been recognized by numerous clubs, sports, and organizations, including NHS, the Health Science Academy Science, and Women’s Lacrosse. Out of all of these involvements, she is most proud of completing her internship at a dental office for the Health Science Academy where she established her love for the medical field. 

“Health science has changed my life for the better. I enjoy taking care of people and I hope to accomplish this through being a nurse,” said Huffman.

Outside of school, Huffman loves to travel, go to the beach, hang out with friends, and shop at her favorite stores: Edikted, Aerie, White Fox, Pacsun, or Target. Huffman also enjoys going on Sheetz runs with her friends.

“I get a Dr. Pepper, Cheerwine, or an Alani… Hot Cheetos and twin snakes,” said Huffman.

Huffman describes her high school experience as adventurous, she’s gone through a lot and has learned a lot throughout her 4 years at Athens. Huffman believes that this is generally what high school is all about. Your high school years are transitioning from being a child to becoming an adult while discovering your passions and dislikes. 

“I found out about my calling through the Health Science Academy and that has led me to getting into ECU for nursing,” said Huffman.

Huffman recalls her favorite memory at Athens as the time when the power went out so she and her friends played spike ball and left to hang out; representing that even through hard times, Huffman always knew how to turn it into fun.

School, extracurriculars, and sports do not stop this student from making hard-earned  money. Huffman has a job that she enjoys and finds pleasure working with her friends as well. She is going to miss fun memories. Craft Public House has been a place where core memories have been made with friends as well.

“I have worked at a Craft Public House as a host for almost a year. I’m going to miss it while I’m at ECU,” said Huffman.

Huffman enjoys taking Health science classes the most and enjoys them, especially with her favorite teacher, Kirsten Worrel. She has had a great time with her the past four years and hopes to keep that connection well into the future. 

“Her Biggest impact is her genuine compassion and natural desire to want to help people. She has experienced various health related issues between her and her family and I think that has given her a genuine interest in wanting to make a difference in the field.” Said Worrel. 

“My favorite teacher is Ms. Worrel. She connects very well with her students and does the best that she can to make sure we succeed, she’s very supportive,”said Huffman.

Huffman has learned that living for others has not always helped her succeed. At one point, she experienced a loss of focus on what she needed to prioritize within school; she suppressed her true authentic self when living for others. She thanks herself for protecting her peace throughout these years at Athens Drive.

“Freshmen shouldn’t care what people think; don’t live for other people, live for yourself,” said Huffman.