Courtesy of Ava Seay
Senior Spotlight: Ava Seay
Brady Jones, Assistant News Editor • June 4, 2024

As the school year fades to an end, many graduates are leaving the Athens Drive community to begin searching for their passions. While some...

Brady Jones has an on-stage-cameo as security guard in production called I Hate Shakespeare. Photo provided by Lauryn Webb
Senior spotlight: Brady Jones
Taylor Malloy, Editor in Chief • June 4, 2024

Athens Drive High School watches many of its students arrive as freshmen and leave as seniors. Some of these seniors stand out as being leaders,...

Jayvon Coleman at Athens Drive
Senior Spotlight: Jayvon Coleman
Sama Yousef, Staff Writer • June 4, 2024

Throughout high school, students achieve and extend themselves thoroughly; Senior Jayvon Coleman has pushed himself to perform excellence throughout...

Rachel Huffman, a cheerful senior at a companions home having a fun time with friends and her digital camera, at a get together.
Senior Spotlight: Rachel Huffman
Deevani Rodriguez, Features Copy Editor • June 4, 2024

Out of the graduating class of 2024, Senior Rachel Huffman has strived to do her best at leading and achieving greatness at Athens Drive Magnet...

The Drive Inquiry Clubs website is pictured. Dylan Ducatte dedicated a lot of her time while at Athens to the club.
Senior Spotlight: Dylan Ducatte
Sophie King, Assistant Editor • June 4, 2024

A true historian, senior Dylan Ducatte has spent her time at Athens fully engaged in all the school's social studies classes. Throughout her...

Skylar Moore at graduation rehearsal with fellow students.
Senior Spotlight: Skylar Moore
Rowan Bissett, Assistant Sports Editor • June 4, 2024

June 8, 2024, Athens seniors will walk the stage, take their diplomas, and finally finish high school. One of those Seniors is Skylar Moore,...

Sama Yousef
Sama Yousef

Sama Yousef is driven to success. Overall she is a fun person to be around. She loves her job at Hollister that she works at with her friends and says it's a nice environment to be in. She enjoys going...

Erin McNeese
Erin McNeese
Copy Editor

Erin McNeese is a senior at Athens Drive High School. They look forward to another great year of writing stories to share with her peers at the Drive. Outside of school you can find them participating...

James Crumpler
James Crumpler
Photography Editor

James Crumpler (Far right) is a senior at Athens Drive and is in his second semester writing for the Athens Oracle. He likes eating Korean barbecue with his friends, playing games, and cooking. His favorite...

Senior Spotlight: Ella Kaczmarek

Ella Kaczmarek and her family during the Senior Night Soccer game against Enloe High School. They were recognized during halftime and ended up winning 3-1. (Photos courtesy of Paula Kotula Photography)

It’s almost the end of the year, and for most students, that means a quick, three-month summer break before returning to Athens for the next school year. However, for our seniors, it means leaving Athens behind to start a new chapter in their lives.

One of those seniors is Ella Kaczmarek. Kaczmarek is the goalkeeper for the Varsity women’s soccer team and is a part of the Health Sciences Academy, along with other clubs. For her, the end of the school year comes with new opportunities. Kaczmarek plans to attend Appalachian State University in the fall to study sustainable development. However, she’ll never forget the experiences that Athens Drive gave her.

“My favorite memory at Athens was beating Leesville in Penalty kicks on Senior Night last year. It was unforgettable and truly amazing to give the seniors a memorable night,” said Kaczmarek. 

Nicole Hooks, assistant coach of the soccer team, said that Kaczmarek had an incredible impact on the team. Kaczmarek played for all four years of high school and led the team through both example and positivity. Hooks says that even though Kaczmarek is leaving the school, she’s leaving an impressive legacy behind that will not be forgotten. 

Ella made Athens better with her leadership in the classroom and on the soccer field. She always treats everyone she knows with respect and kindness,” said Hooks, “It is evident that Athens soccer will be different because of Ella. It will also miss her greatly, but knowing how she impacted others leaves a legacy behind of teaching others to be as encouraging and kind as her.” 

The soccer field isn’t the only place Kaczmereck had an impact. As a member of the Health Sciences Academy, she had the opportunity to have a summer internship at the Inter-Faith Food Shuttle. They are a part of Feeding America – a nationwide non-profit that manages thousands of food banks across the country – and offer food help throughout North Carolina, mainly the Raleigh area.

“Throughout my time at Athens, I’m most proud of my summer internship,” said Kaczmarek, “At the food shuttle, we focused on feeding food-insecure individuals, and it was an experience I’ll never forget.”  

Although new paths are opening for her, Kaczmarek will hold Athens close to her as other parts of her life are coming to a close. One of the paths closing is soccer, and the friendships and memories made during the past four years.

“I will miss the friends that I have made here as we all go our separate ways, but most of all, I will miss the women’s soccer team,” said Kaczmarek, “All the girls and the community we created was one that can never be replaced. As someone who has played for 14 years, I can’t think of a better team to finish my career with.”