Courtesy of Ava Seay
Senior Spotlight: Ava Seay
Brady Jones, Assistant News Editor • June 4, 2024

As the school year fades to an end, many graduates are leaving the Athens Drive community to begin searching for their passions. While some...

Brady Jones has an on-stage-cameo as security guard in production called I Hate Shakespeare. Photo provided by Lauryn Webb
Senior spotlight: Brady Jones
Taylor Malloy, Editor in Chief • June 4, 2024

Athens Drive High School watches many of its students arrive as freshmen and leave as seniors. Some of these seniors stand out as being leaders,...

Jayvon Coleman at Athens Drive
Senior Spotlight: Jayvon Coleman
Sama Yousef, Staff Writer • June 4, 2024

Throughout high school, students achieve and extend themselves thoroughly; Senior Jayvon Coleman has pushed himself to perform excellence throughout...

Rachel Huffman, a cheerful senior at a companions home having a fun time with friends and her digital camera, at a get together.
Senior Spotlight: Rachel Huffman
Deevani Rodriguez, Features Copy Editor • June 4, 2024

Out of the graduating class of 2024, Senior Rachel Huffman has strived to do her best at leading and achieving greatness at Athens Drive Magnet...

The Drive Inquiry Clubs website is pictured. Dylan Ducatte dedicated a lot of her time while at Athens to the club.
Senior Spotlight: Dylan Ducatte
Sophie King, Assistant Editor • June 4, 2024

A true historian, senior Dylan Ducatte has spent her time at Athens fully engaged in all the school's social studies classes. Throughout her...

Skylar Moore at graduation rehearsal with fellow students.
Senior Spotlight: Skylar Moore
Rowan Bissett, Assistant Sports Editor • June 4, 2024

June 8, 2024, Athens seniors will walk the stage, take their diplomas, and finally finish high school. One of those Seniors is Skylar Moore,...

Elijah Hoskins
Elijah Hoskins
Social Media Editor

Elijah Hoskins is a Sophomore at Athens Drive. This is his second semester writing for the Athens Oracle. Outside of school, he likes to play his clarinet, attend marching band events, hang with friends,...

Deevani Rodriguez
Deevani Rodriguez
Features copy editor

Deevani is an open minded character, she likes fitness, eating, and spending quality time with her loved ones. She hopes to write more exciting, engaging articles.

Rose Luck
Rose Luck
Copy Editor

Rose Luck is a Junior at Athens Drive. She enjoys making jewelry and listening to music. This is Rose's second year, and third semester writing for the Athens Oracle. She finds journalism fun and as it...

Senior Spotlight: Dylan Ducatte

Photos by Sophie King
The Drive Inquiry Club’s website is pictured. Dylan Ducatte dedicated a lot of her time while at Athens to the club.

A true historian, senior Dylan Ducatte has spent her time at Athens fully engaged in all the school’s social studies classes. Throughout her time at Athens Drive, she has found ways to take that interest and use it to help other students get more involved in civic engagement.

Over the years, Ducatte has sparked a particular interest in classes she has taken with Sarah Shouse, Social Studies teacher. Shouse taught her Psychology, AP United States History, and AP Comparative Government, all of which Ducatte shares her fondest memories with. 

“I would have lunch a lot in Shouse’s room. I had a really fun time there,” said Ducatte. “I really loved AP Comparative Government class, that was really fun. The best memories were anything related to that, whether it was having lunch with Ms. Shouse, [or] working on an [AP United States History] project,”

Ducatte won this year’s Social Studies Enthusiast award for her dedication to the subject at the senior awards ceremony.

“I took basically all the social studies APs I could. I’ve always been interested in everything,” said Ducatte.

Ducatte played a major role in the creation of the Athens Drive chapter of the National Social Studies Honor Society, as well as creating both the Drive Inquiry Club and Crossing the Divide Club.

“So I started Crossing the Divide my junior year. It’s like a writing journalism club; it kind of brings together writers, and we talk about events and political topics, and we condense it,” said Ducatte. 

Crossing the Divide works against the downfalls of modern technology’s effect on teenage civic engagement.

“[News] is typically not very interesting to high school students, and it’s very overwhelming a lot of the time…There is so much information out there that I wanted to create a hub where you can get the simplified information that’s digestible to high school students,” said Ducatte.

“Understanding how to research them [news events] so you’re not getting just one-sided points of view is really just mature beyond her years,” said Shouse.

Overall, Shouse highlights Ducatte’s ambition for Social Studies and how she has had such an impact on the Athens Drive community.

“Her interest in social studies, her desire to create the National Social Studies Honor Society and to have Crossing the Divide Club…to have information, and to encourage people, her peers, to be more invested in social issues is special,” said Shouse.

Not only is Ducatte ambitious, but she also has remarkable character, Shouse points out.

“There are no weird masks. There’s no judgment. She’s kind…She’s just a genuine, nice person.”