‘Knockout Game’ spreads worldwide

Recently, a new trend called the “knockout game” created by a group of teenagers has been spreading around the world. The purpose of the game is to try to knock out innocent strangers with one sucker punch to the head. What some call a terrifying game has resulted in injuries, unconsciousness and even some deaths.

A majority of the reports are coming from New York. Surveillance videos that show victims being attacked have been released online and have gone viral. Videos show innocent citizens walking as a teen runs up and punches them, then walks away laughing and smiling with a group of friends.

“This game is very offensive and it can be frowned upon. You can actually get an assault charge for doing it, so it is not worth it,” said Darius Lee, junior.

The knockout game incidents have grabbed law enforcement’s eye and they are watching for reports of the crime. In one report, a homeless man was punched by one of three teenagers around the age of 13, resulting in a broken neck, and died soon after. Ten days after the September attack, the teens were arrested with murder charges.

“I do not understand why anyone would want to do this, people will do anything for attention. Why would you want to just punch a random person for the fun of it, it is not right and not logical. Is it really worth going to jail just because you want to look cool? No, it is just stupid,” said Joshua Stone, freshman.

In another incident, a 76-year-old woman was struck in the head in the same area where a rally against the so called “knockout game” was ending. She was taken to the hospital. No robbery has been involved in any of the incidents, just acts of violence.

Some have been arrested and charged with a hate crime for participating in the game. Most of the people who participate in the “knockout game” are between the ages of 13 to 18. Many have been caught and placed in juvenile detention or jail.

“The Knockout Game is just  horrible… These teens probably participate in this game because they want to look cool in front of their friends and are being peer pressured into doing it. Maybe the influence of video games or celebrities are bringing them to violence, or having a rough life, leading to taking their anger out on other people. I think the perpetrators should be punished, they should not get away with it for being underage, ” said Ali Hida, freshman.

View Comments (1)