Student Council considers new fundraising event to replace Dance-a-thon

Student Council is a group of students at Athens whose primary role is to make a good representation of the school and show school spirit. They organize school activities such as the two spirit weeks during the year and get involved in activities to try and make an impression on the public.

Ken Davenport, social studies teacher, is the faculty advisor of Student Council. He has been the faculty advisor of the Athens Drive Student Council since 1989 and also was involved with Student Council when he was in high school.

“My philosophy has always been that it is student government, not Davenport government, co-starring the students. It is the students government. My job is to be the advisor, not the student government, everything is in the hands of the students,” said Davenport.

The Student Council also does service projects like raising money and food for disasters around the world. In the past, there was the Dance-a-thon which was used to raise money for illnesses such as leukemia. They also did a fundraiser for the Make-A-Wish Foundation that raised about 14,000 dollars.

“I see the role of Student Council evolving, because so many clubs such as Key Club and National Honor Society have taken away the service component that we used to be all about. If all these clubs are overlapping with community service, it gets insane. Ours has kind of boiled down to more school identity, community and image type of stuff,” said Davenport.

At the end of October,  the PTSA Grounds Committee was started to clean up the front entrance of the school with the help of the Student Council. They clipped dead trees and branches and cleaned up the ground to make the school look more attractive to the public.

The Student Council worked on homecoming by decorating the stadium, organizing the event and setting up posters to support spirit week  They also worked on the pep rallies and parades. The pep rallies are during spirit week to get students to show support for the school. The Student Council puts together the pep rallies and assemblies for Athens

“Around homecoming, it gets pretty stressful, but that moment when everything is done, the homecoming queen is crown, it was finished, you feel great,” said Davenport.

The Student Council raises money for the school by doing fundraisers like candy sales so that it can function. In terms of the service projects, it does not look like the Dance-a-thon is going to happen again, according to Davenport.

“We have our works cut out for us, determining what the new charity type thing is going to be. I liked the tradition of the Dance-a-thon, but it gets a little old. We did it over and over so much that we sort of became almost the number one example of a high school raising money for the Dance-a-thon. I feel like we’ve got to try something new,” said Davenport.