Athens Drive flag football team poses for a picture after winning their last game of the season. Photo provided by Lauryn Webb.
Sample templates
Nobody, None • April 18, 2024

Lindsay Grant, Susan McGraw, Nathan Bunch, Brower Evenhouse, and Jack Thompson working on their classwork in AP Calculus BC.
Pros and cons of having AP classes in the spring
Ethan Adams, Assistant Editor • April 9, 2024

Background on AP classes   AP (Advanced Placement) courses are offered year-round at Athens Drive High School and many schools nationwide....

Corissa Greene
Corissa Greene
Sports Copy Editor

Corissa is a very creative person; not only is she smart academically but also socially. Corissa is considered by her peers as a driven student who strives to do above and beyond. She enjoys shopping with...

Rose Luck
Rose Luck
Copy Editor

Rose Luck is a Junior at Athens Drive. She enjoys making jewelry and listening to music. This is Rose's second year, and third semester writing for the Athens Oracle. She finds journalism fun and as it...

Danazia McLean, also known as Nae, is a senior at Athens Drive High School and a member of the Idea Hunters of Athens Oracle. In her free time, she enjoys trying new foods, hanging out with her friend...

Less thanks being given on Thanksgiving

With Thanksgiving and the winter holidays in the near future, people are beginning to make plans for where they will eat their meals and what they will buy their acquaintances. The massive amounts of cooking and eating around Thanksgiving, and the gift exchanges of the holidays are causing people to lose focus of what is truly important during the holiday season.

The modern day Thanksgiving started when the Native Americans and Pilgrims had a meal together in Plymouth, Pennsylvania.  Pilgrims and Native Americans felt they needed to give thanks and celebrate how lucky they were to have a great harvesting season.

Thanksgiving is meant to be a holiday of giving thanks, exactly what the name implies.  People are already making plans on what they will cook, where they will go on vacation and where they will find the best sales on Black Friday.

Thanksgiving is a time to be spent with family and friends.  It does not matter what is eaten, or where it is eaten, as long as it is eaten with special people.   Spending time with mothers, fathers, sisters, brothers, or best friends on Thanksgiving gives one the opportunity to express their gratefulness for having them in their lives.

Winter holidays, nowadays, are a time of rushing to the mall at the last minute to pick up a gift for the third cousin that is always forgotten.  People are so involved and worried about buying gifts that they end up missing out on the special moments that happen during the last few months of the year.

If people slowed down and did not worry about the hustle and bustle of the holidays, they might get more enjoyment out of it.  Planning a day where the entire extended family meets and spends time together, decorating the house with family, or going to a holiday concert with a group of friends are all great ways to get closer with loved ones during the holidays.

This year try to remember to tell friends and family how important they are and how much they are loved.  If this is the main focus of the holidays people will have less stress and will be able to enjoy their time off much more.