Athens football team strives for excellence

Every team focuses on what they can do to improve for the next season, and with a loss of so many starting seniors last year, that is exactly what the Athens varsity football team had to do this season. Last year, the football team won five out of the eleven conference games, qualifying them for the playoffs. However, the Jaguars lost in the first round to Garner.

So far this year, Athens has won four out of the eight games they have played.

“The guys are finding ways to be able to win the close games, which last year we were unable to do,” said Chris Martin, varsity football coach.

The football team has three games left in the season. Winning will determine if they can make it into the playoffs.

Along with losing many of the talented seniors, there have been multiple injuries such as knee issues, broken bones and concussions. All of the challenges the athletes had to overcome this year have made the players become even closer.

“The season has been very up and down because of all of the complications with the injuries, but the boys have really come together as a team and made this year a much more family oriented season,” said Martin.

Although the season is not over yet, the athletes are already looking at what they need to improve to be better next year. They continue to strive to become a stronger team.

“We want to get stronger and have the mentality to work and be more motivated to win. And we are working to overcome adversity to become a better team for next year,” said Curtis Hill, senior and team captain.

The team and coaches encourage anybody who is interested to come try out, whether or not they think they will be good. The coaches are supportive of anyone who is willing to give one hundred percent to become a football player.

“Anyone interested should come out and talk to us. We will work with them and develop them into a great football player, but only if they are willing to work hard,” said Martin.