Best comedy movies to watch this season

Comedies have been one of the most popular genres of films ever since movies first gained popularity. With the goal to make the audience laugh, this genre is many people’s favorites. Many iconic actors such as Charlie Chaplin, Robin Williams and Adam Sandler all gained prominence from this genre. This list is compiled of the best rated comedies, from past generations to now.

“Monty Python and the Holy Grail” (1975)

The oldest movie on this list, “Monty Python and the Holy Grail,” has a comedic take on the legend of King Arthur. However, one cannot expect a normal telling of King Arthur, instead this film chooses to make Arthur trot along without a horse, with a subject using two coconuts to imitate a horse’s hooves hitting the ground. Another iconic scene is with the black knight, who is mortally wounded, but keeps insisting on fighting, calling his severed arm a flesh wound.

“Napoleon Dynamite” (2004)

Set in rural Idaho, “Napoleon Dynamite” is centered around eccentric characters, such as Napoleon, Uncle Rico, Pedro and Deb. Although there is little for a plot, it is loved for its characters personalities and quirks, such as Pedro’s social awkwardness, Uncle Rico’s obsession with the past and Napoleon’s simple-mindedness.

“Borat” (2006)*

Borat is a film about a Kazakh journalist, played by comedian Sacha Baron Cohen, who travels to America with the intention of making a documentary to bring awareness to his Central Asian country. During his travels across America, Borat inadvertently offends nearly everyone he meets and tries to meet his “future wife” Pamela Anderson.

“There were scenes in Borat that made me start crying from how much I was laughing. But there were some scenes where I had to look away,” said Joy Winton, senior.

“Superbad” (2007)*

Centered around two best friends, Seth and Evan, Superbad is a coming of age story about two high school students. The film follows them attempting to get alcohol to a party so they can get in with the popular crowd. Along the way their friend Fogell manages to get a fake ID and eventually ends up spending the night getting dragged around by two irresponsible cops in their squad car. “Superbad” is loved by many because of its unadulterated raunch. Unlike other movies about high schoolers, Superbad is not afraid to use profanity to extremes and the characters are obsessed with things most high school boys are, too.

“A reason I think Superbad is so funny is because of how it’s so relatable. I could see the main characters being a part of Athens,” said Gracie White, senior.

*These movies are rated R, meaning you must be 17 or older, or be accompanied by an adult to watch them. Contains some adult material.