Brady’s Buccaneers win Super Bowl LV

Photos by Getty Images
Outside the stadium of Super Bowl LV at the Raymond James Stadium in Tampa, Florida January 21, 2021

Super Bowl LV featured Patrick Mahomes’s Kansas City Chiefs versus Tom Brady’s Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Played Feb. 8 in the Raymond James Stadium in Tampa, Florida, the Buccaneers defeated the Chiefs by a score of 31-9. 

There was much speculation before the game about whether it would be played due to COVID-19 and the health of the players. But despite such an odd year for the world of sports, the game was played — and 22,000 spectators (one third of the stadium’s capacity) were even let into the game.

Going into the game, the advantage actually laid in the hands of the Buccaneers as they had the home field advantage in a Super Bowl for the first time in history, despite the Chiefs having been victorious in the previous Super Bowl and in 25 of their last 27 games. Historically though, it has been very difficult for a team to win the Super Bowl two years in a row, only having been done eight times in NFL history.

The win for the Buccaneers marked Brady’s 7th Super Bowl ring, despite his age bringing him closer to the end of his career. It means that he has now won the Super Bowl with two different NFL teams, having played for the New England Patriots for 20 years prior to signing with the Buccaneers this past offseason.

“I think he is going to go down as the GOAT without question and I really enjoy watching greatness,” said Shane Barry, STEM coordinator and teacher.

Despite many quarterbacks being retired by the time they reach their 40s, Brady is 43 and said he’s open to playing past 45. He believes that he could accomplish great things again playing another season with the Buccaneers.

“It’s a physical sport and just the perspective I have on that is that you never know when that moment is,” said Brady to CNN.

Connecting two touchdown passes to Rob Gronkowski and one to the widely criticized Antonio Brown made for a good performance from Brady. This helped Brady in winning the 5th Super Bowl MVP award of his career.

But the often overlooked player during this matchup was Patrick Mahomes. Only 25 years old, this was his opportunity to win a second Super Bowl. However, for the first time in his career, his team lost by more than one possession. He was also unable to score a touchdown throughout the course of the game.

“I really like the guy that Mahomes is and I admire his playstyle. He worked his heart out but unfortunately he just didn’t get the result he would have wanted,” said Ethan Barbosa, senior.

This was his second consecutive Super Bowl in his four years of playing professionally in the NFL. Despite many reporters blaming his improvised offensive line for the loss, Mahomes admitted that it was not his best of games. With no touchdowns, three sacks, two interceptions, and his lowest passer rating as a professional, it was bad timing to have a subpar performance.

“It’s good to know that he’s young and has a future with this team in this league. I look forward to seeing what he can accomplish in his next few years leading this team,” said Barbosa.