Q&A with Grace Sideris

Grace Sideris, Senior, sits down and talks about her musical talents, school life, hobbies, gives advice on reaching goals and tips she uses to juggle schoolwork.

Why do you play the fiddle?

“I originally started when I was four playing classical music, I was taught Suzuki. The summer before 7th grade I moved to Raleigh and we decided it was time for a change of style and we found a teacher who taught Irish and Bluegrass.”

Who got you interested in playing the fiddle?

“My parents always wanted all of the kids to play instruments, and they couldn’t make my brother do it but I just kind of did. I tried the piano at first and didn’t do well, so the violin was the one I moved to.”

Do you play outside of school?

“I played outside of school. I had a teacher I had weekly lessons with until last January when she went out on maternity leave.”

What’s the difference between the fiddle, violin and viola?

“Well, for the violin and the viola they’re both shoulder instruments but they’re different sizes and they’re strung differently so the viola is slightly bigger and it’s lower on the staff and for the violin and fiddle they’re pretty much the same and they’re strung the same but the fiddle technically has a flatter bridge, which is the wooden part that holds the strings, but most of the people-actually of the people I know that play fiddle music use a violin because they’re easier to come by.”

Does anyone else is your family come from a musical background?

“I think my mom used to play the flute and my dad used to sing maybe. I know he acted and he may have done some musicals but not anything since, it was in school.”

What’s your advice for someone who wants to play the fiddle?

“Learn to read music first. If you ask Mrs.Hornick or anyone else in the club we just started we do mostly learning by ear but it’s good to be able to read music so you can figure it out. I’d say find someone who knows how to play first because it’s not an easy instrument to just pick up.”

Do you play any other instruments?

“I sort of play the guitar, and I sort of play the ukulele. I haven’t played them in a long time but I’m self-taught.”

What kind of music do you like to listen to?

“I listen to a lot of stuff; I’m not a big fan of Country, and I don’t really listen to rap or any kind of Pop but other than that I like Irish music, I like Blue Grass, I like Classic Rock, more Modern Rock… really anything… it kind of depends on the specific song.”

What do you enjoy to do in your free time?

“I knit, crochet, make friendship bracelets, listen to music, read and make YouTube videos.”

What classes do you take here at Athens?

“This year I have French three, AP English, AP Stat, Media Studies, which is working in the library and Orchestra.”

Are you a member of a club or do you play any sports?

“I’m in the Fiddle Club with Mrs.Hornick, and NHS of course. I’m also President of the Gay-Straight Alliance (GSA) this year.”

How do you juggle all of your classes and club commitments? Is it a challenge sometimes?

“This year hasn’t been much of a conflict, but generally, class comes first with the exception of events done by the GSA. I take support of the Lesbian, Bisexual, Gay, Transgender, Questioning, Intersex Allies (LBGTQIA) community very seriously, though school has to come first in most cases. There are times when I will postpone for a school cause.”

What would you consider one of your greatest achievements?

“Probably the support I give people struggling with self-harm, suicide and eating disorders as well as people in the LBGTQIA community.”

What is your opinion on bullying in school?

“I think it’s horrible and unforgivable. I think that it is administration and teacher’s jobs to prevent and support victims of bullying. It isn’t represented in the media in the way it should be. It gets attention when it goes “too far” and ends in suicide or injury. We need to recognize it before it goes too far.”

What would you say to someone who has a talent but isn’t sure whether to pursue it or not?

“Do it. At least try it, unless you really don’t like it then in that case don’t. But if you think you might have potential go ahead and give it a try.”

What are your goals when you graduate?

“I’m hoping to go to UNCA. I’m interested in going into Cinematography, although I’m also interested in Mathematics and Religious Studies/History. I think UNCA is the best fit for me because it’s a small, liberal arts school, which is something I really like. I went and visited it and loved everything about it. The majors and classes are fantastic and the area is like a dream come true for me.”