Tropical Storm Beta strikes North Carolina, Texas, Louisiana

Tropical Storm Beta hit North Carolina Sept. 19 leading to the closure of N.C. 12 Highway located in the Outer Banks due to the over wash from a previous storm Teddy. The storm stayed west of North Carolina and dropped heavy showers of rain in the area. There was rainfall in North Carolina from Sept. 19 to Sept. 22.

As for Texas, during Sept. 22 Beta weakened, turned into a tropical depression and stayed over the coast of Texas. According to the U.S. National Hurricane Center, Beta had maximum sustained winds at 30 miles per hour. They saw that the storm was moving 5 miles per hour east and was expected to crawl inland on Sept. 23. The Hurricane Center recorded that Texas received up to 14 inches of rain on Sept. 22 and then 18 inches the next 2 days.

Street flooding was reported in Houston. According to Fire Chief Samuel Pena, “first responders had done 100 water rescues in Houston.” Harrison County Judge Lina Hidalgo warned Harris County to stay off the roads with the help of the Houston Mayor Sylvester Turner.

“Your sedan is not a submarine. Your minivan is not magical. So stay off the roads right now,” said Hidalgo.

The National Weather Service issued a flash flood in New Orleans, Baton Rouge and Lafayette metro areas. The coastal areas of Louisiana were issued with tropical storm warnings. The agency believes that there won’t be any immediate floods but it will be a cumulative flood over time. It posed a threat over the duration of several days.

Weather officials have also extended flash flood watches over Interstate 12, the Felicians, St. Helena and Tangiphoa parishes. Specific regions have gone through similar catastrophes such as Hurricane Laura, Sally and Marco which has made them feel better prepared for environmental catastrophes. In Iberville, officials still have over 50,000 sandbags left over from previous storms.

Mark Migliacio, director of operations for Iberville Parish said that he’s prepared with the sandbags. “We might not get much. But we are ready,” said Migliacio.