Athens Drive flag football team poses for a picture after winning their last game of the season. Photo provided by Lauryn Webb.
Sample templates
Nobody, None • April 18, 2024

Lindsay Grant, Susan McGraw, Nathan Bunch, Brower Evenhouse, and Jack Thompson working on their classwork in AP Calculus BC.
Pros and cons of having AP classes in the spring
Ethan Adams, Assistant Editor • April 9, 2024

Background on AP classes   AP (Advanced Placement) courses are offered year-round at Athens Drive High School and many schools nationwide....

AP classes are more rigorous than most high school courses, often being regarded as similar to college level. They require a lot of dedication from students each day to stay on top of the course load.
The struggles of AP exams
Brady Jones, Assistant News Editor • April 9, 2024

Advanced Placement (AP) courses are probably the most feared classes in high school. After all, they are college-level workloads! But on top...

Corissa Greene
Corissa Greene
Sports Copy Editor

Corissa is a very creative person; not only is she smart academically but also socially. Corissa is considered by her peers as a driven student who strives to do above and beyond. She enjoys shopping with...

Sama Yousef
Sama Yousef
Staff Writer

Sama Yousef is driven to success. Overall she is a fun person to be around. She loves her job at Hollister that she works at with her friends and says it's a nice environment to be in. She enjoys going...

Lisi Abete is a Freshmen at Athens Drive. This is her first semester in the Oracle and she works on staff relations. Abete loves cats and going on bike rides.

Athens Drive second annual Winter Charity Gala

Photos by HOSA Club
Students line dancing at the annual charity gala

Charities; selfless organizations that give back to those in need, and can help people gain a sense of fulfillment. Athens Drive High School gave to charity by throwing its second annual Winter Charity Gala. 

Hosted by Athens Drive’s very own Future Health Professionals Club (HOSA), the Winter Charity Gala was thrown to raise money for a cause voted on by the whole student body. After voting, it was decided that the charities proceeds would go to the Wakemed Children’s Hospital. Being able to be a part of a group that does good for the community felt like an eye opening experience for some members of HOSA Club. 

“You never really know what someone is going through behind the smile on their face,” said Ozioma Michael, HOSA Club Historian. 

Michael, and the rest of the schools participation in the gala helped to raise an estimated seven thousand dollars for the children at Wakemed Children’s Hospital, surpassing the money raised last year by over two thousand dollars. 

The Wakemed Children’s Hospital is the only pediatric inpatient care provider in Wake County, making it the most popular choice for children’s medical care. Being a non-profit organization, Wakemed appreciates the donations from charities such as the gala.

Parents bring their children to WakeMeds Children’s Hospital to receive some of their pediatric specialties which include, but are not limited to, cardiology, endocrinology, neurology, and pulmonology. There are staff members available to care for children twenty four hours a day, seven days a week, including holidays. 

Giving back to an organization that is such a reliable choice for parents and children in our Wake County, and supporting an organization in our community, is a great opportunity for high school kids who might not always know how to give back.

The Winter Charity Gala has been a fun way for the students to give back to their community, and learn the importance of giving. As the 2020-2021 school year comes around, the possibility of a third annual gala is a chance for Athens to keep on giving and continue to learn the importance of helping others.

“It feels important to show up and show support for a good cause.” said Michael.