Athens Drive flag football team poses for a picture after winning their last game of the season. Photo provided by Lauryn Webb.
Sample templates
Nobody, None • April 18, 2024

Lindsay Grant, Susan McGraw, Nathan Bunch, Brower Evenhouse, and Jack Thompson working on their classwork in AP Calculus BC.
Pros and cons of having AP classes in the spring
Ethan Adams, Assistant Editor • April 9, 2024

Background on AP classes   AP (Advanced Placement) courses are offered year-round at Athens Drive High School and many schools nationwide....

AP classes are more rigorous than most high school courses, often being regarded as similar to college level. They require a lot of dedication from students each day to stay on top of the course load.
The struggles of AP exams
Brady Jones, Assistant News Editor • April 9, 2024

Advanced Placement (AP) courses are probably the most feared classes in high school. After all, they are college-level workloads! But on top...

Crystal McCabe
Crystal McCabe
Staff writer

Crystal McCabe is a senior at Athens Drive High School. She is one of the Idea hunters for Athens Oracle, and in her free time, she enjoys exploring new cuisines, hanging out with her friend Nae McLean,...

Mariah Hatcher
Mariah Hatcher

Mariah Hatcher is an Athens Drive High School sophomore and an assistant sports editor for the Athens Oracle. This is her second semester writing for the Oracle. She enjoys writing, playing video games,...

Ethan Adams
Ethan Adams

Ethan Adams is a Junior at Athens Drive. He is a Assistant News Editor for the Athens Oracle. He has been with the Oracle for 3 years. He enjoys getting to interact with others as well as writing. Ethan...

Athens Drive High School is home to various animals

The learning experiences presented only to Athens Drive Magnet High School through its unique access to livestock and other animals provide many students with what they see as a one of a kind experience. Classes such as Agriscience and Animal sciences, taught by teacher Savannah Currens and assistant teacher Mary-Kate Morgan, explore the applications of agricultural education in today’s world.

Photos by Amena Matcheswala
Bonzo, Bean, and Pinto, Athens’ goats from left to right.

Athens Drive offers Agriscience Applications followed by courses Animal Science I and II, and finally Vet Assisting, which is new in 2019. The classes are structured to include education through classroom time, supervised agricultural experience (SAE), and FFA (formerly Future Farmers of America) involvement while teaching students about the agricultural industry, livestock, and companion animals. Additionally, these courses include working with live animals such as goats, chickens, reptiles, hamsters, and other small animals.

Students such as Joy Winton, junior, can discover the experiences offered through Athens’ program in classes such as Animal Sciences one and two. 

“You have hands-on experience that you can’t get from other schools and just with the fact that Athens is an urban school it’s nice to see animals that you don’t have to go to a farm to see,” said Winton.

One example of these hands-on experiences described by Winton is the responsibilities assigned to Animal Science II students, such as feeding and watering the animals, changing bedding, and the occasional opportunity to administer medicine. The students’ involvement helps develop interests into potential careers. For instance, Agriscience gives students information on potential careers such as horticulture, crop production, and agricultural machine operating. 

Additional experiences include being able to take one of the animals home during a long break for extra experience caring for small animals. This allows students to independently develop the skills necessary to advance their knowledge of raising animals.

“I took Pumpkin Spice Latte, the guinea pig, home and it contributed to my love and passion for animals and the courses,” said Ariana Paulik. 

Paulik, sophomore, is a former student of Agriscience Applications and Animal Science I. Being able to have individual focused time with the animals has also helped students turn a passion into something pursuable in the future. 

The students have described the class as one where they get to do something fun every day. Winton gives an account of some of her favorite memories being when the goats first arrived at Athens Drive. 

“When we first got the goats, they loved to play on the playground and they would run up and down the slides and it was so funny to watch them play on the slides and jump off, it was like having little kids around,” said Winton. 

Teachers and students alike see an increase in the importance of a class with an agricultural focus, especially in the near future. Topics such as conservation of natural resources are covered in Agriscience Applications and the concepts are built on in future classes.

Morgan said, “today in my Agriscience class, which im teaching this semster, we were talking about how by 2050 the world is going to approach 10 billion people, so what are we going to do as students who are interested in agriculture to make a difference, make sure we can sustain that population?”

Having a vet track with a more specific focus than other classes that may cover the subject in a broader manner has opened students’ eyes to the prevalent and increasing need for a focus in agriculture in the real world situations such as consuming agricultural products, according to former students of the course. 

“Agriscience Applications especially really exposed and explained some of the blaring agricultural and ethical problems that are relevant in today’s society so it allowed me to learn more about these subjects so I can make ethical decisions as a consumer,” said Paulik.

The students of Athens participating in its vet track enjoy the unique experiences offered through its agriculture and animal-focused classes with hands-on experiences offered by the availability of real animals to advance learning opportunities.

“One thing that’s really awesome about this class is the opportunity not just to learn, but to have a breath of fresh air and step away from academics but they are still learning whether they know it or not,” said Morgan.