Brexit will effect the UK, US and EU

The British exit from the EU (also known as Brexit) will be one of the most important events both UK and EU nations in recent memory. For the first time in the history of the EU, one of its major countries will be leaving and the process is set to conclude by Oct. 30, after nearly three years of delay, regardless of UK and EU relations concerning the matter. 

When discussing Brexit we must first understand why the UK wants to separate from the EU. The UK is calling for a brexit for many reasons, but three of the major reasons that are the most concerning to the nation and its people are sovereignty, border control, and taxes/bills.

As of now any EU citizens can move freely throughout any EU country without a passport and without question.When considering the straightforward process of becoming a member of certain EU countries, immigration has become an issue in the EU. Lenient immigration policies have allowed for millions of undocumented immigrants to flood into the UK. Many of them low-skilled and living unjustly off the welfare system, bleeding the government of funds.

The issue of border control is a direct result of the issue of sovereignty and the UKs inability to rule themselves without intervention from the EU. As of now the EU has control over the UK law and all other EU nations in many aspects.. Currently, the EU can pass laws that affect both Parliament and citizens of the UK without going through Parliament in any way. The ability for the EU to pass these types of laws shows just what power the EU has and how the EU is beginning to be more authoritarian in the way they run their nation.

One of the final reasons as to why the UK wants to separate from the EU is bills and expenses. The UK pays roughly around 13-19 billion pounds each year to stay apart of the EU. If the UK is able to brexit, all the money that would normally go towards the EU can be reinvested by the government to support the well-being of the country and its citizens.

While these three reasons listed above are not the only reason for the UK wanting to exit the EU, they are some of the biggest issues that concern both the UK government and its citizens. 

Ever since the vote for Brexit in 2016, the event has been delayed for nearly three years because British Parliament decided a revote was necessary despite the original vote resulting in favour of an EU exit. The decision to revote initially and still continues to anger pro-brexit UK citizens and many are now becoming impatient and are demanding a brexit. 

This brings us to present day where a no-deal-brexit (Britain leaving the EU without any formal trade or border agreements with the EU) is the most likely option the UK as tensions rise and demand for the separation from the EU is reaching its peak amongst citizens. UK Prime Minister, Boris Johnson, even went as far as to suspend Parliament for five weeks to prevent laws and legislation from passing that could potentially prevent a no-deal-brexit from being developed. 

Brexit is necessary for the UK and the continued well being of their citizens, and is considered a last resort option for the UK. The EU is a threat to the sovereignty of the nation and an EU exit is one of the only options available to the UK if they wish to sustain their sovereignty and pride as a nation. 

Now is an extremely important time in history. Brexit will be the first time one of the EU’s major nations have left the union since it was first formed in 1993. When Brexit does eventually pass, other nations may be encouraged to mimic the UK and countries separating from the EU may become more common in the coming years.